OSGi

grantpax
Hey,

I’ve spent weeks trying to establish OSGi as the structural foundation of my project (putting a wrapper around the OWL API and bolting on a graph viz package). I have met (via email) and am assisting Peter Kriens with enRoute. I genuinely want to use this tech - and the project is still very much under development. So much flux. It’s hard on a java rookie. Could you share any wisdom? What tools and educational material could you recommend? If you use bndtools, how do you deal with all the changes, lack of tutorials, and general beta nature?

Thanks,

Grant

Re: OSGi

Timothy Redmond
On 01/23/2015 07:46 AM, Grant Pax wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I’ve spent weeks trying to establish OSGi as the structural foundation of my project (putting a wrapper around the OWL API and bolting on a graph viz package). I have met (via email) and am assisting Peter Kriens with enRoute. I genuinely want to use this tech - and the project is still very much under development. So much flux. It’s hard on a java rookie. Could you share any wisdom? What tools and educational material could you recommend? If you use bndtools, how do you deal with all the changes, lack of tutorials, and general beta nature?

I was involved in the move to use OSGi and it is a very flexible and
powerful tool for building modular systems.  It has been a while so my
recollections are a little hazy in places.  Also you are already working
with a real OSGi expert.

In terms of what you are asking about bnd, I recommend using maven. The
manifest is definitely not a file that you really want to maintain
yourself and maven works pretty well.  If I remember right, the maven
bundle plugin is based on bnd.

We used the Eclipse plugin model when building Protege.  When I worked
on the Protege server project I used the OSGi declarative services and
my impression is that declarative services are much simpler and cleaner.

The other thing that gave us trouble was the caching that OSGi does
between sessions.  I may have misunderstood the mechanism but in the
context of what we were doing it seemed useful to ensure that this
caching was turned off.

-Timothy