OWL API - what files are needed?

tmm1012
I am working on developing a Protege plugin, and need simple access to an ontology that I've built.  I have checked out the source for Protege 4.1 and am using Eclipse to build Protege with the plugin I am developing, but I am struggling with the correct setup for the OWL API.  My Java (and Eclipse) skills are average at best, so please forgive me if I'm missing something basic.

I'm using Mac OS, and like I said, have checked out the source for Protege 4.1.  I was trying to follow the example on this page (http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Programmers_Guide#Installation_.26_Getting_Started) to load the ontology.  However, in my installation, I do not have any of the folders listed in the screen shot (specifically, edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl), so I cannot import the OWLModel, OWLModelClass, etc.  My plugins folder only has 3 Jar files (org.protege.editor.owl.examples.tab.jar, org.protege.editor.owl.jar, org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar).  I see that the example is Protege 3.4.4 and on Windows, so is version 4.1 for Mac really that different?  The OWL API example given on that page seems very straightforward to me.

I have also come across the apparent latest version of the OWL API at http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/documentation.html but the setup seems completely different.  I'm not sure if that's the only way to work with the OWL API now, or if I'm just missing something major.  Is there a way to download the OWL API version used in the first example above, or do I need to use this latest version?

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it....

Re: OWL API - what files are needed?

Thomas Russ

On Apr 22, 2011, at 8:26 AM, Tommy Minta wrote:

> I'm using Mac OS, and like I said, have checked out the source for Protege 4.1.  I was trying to follow the example on this page (http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/ProtegeOWL_API_Programmers_Guide#Installation_.26_Getting_Started) to load the ontology.  However, in my installation, I do not have any of the folders listed in the screen shot (specifically, edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl), so I cannot import the OWLModel, OWLModelClass, etc.  My plugins folder only has 3 Jar files (org.protege.editor.owl.examples.tab.jar, org.protege.editor.owl.jar, org.semanticweb.owl.owlapi.jar).  I see that the example is Protege 3.4.4 and on Windows, so is version 4.1 for Mac really that different?  The OWL API example given on that page seems very straightforward to me.

This API only works with Protege 3.x

> I have also come across the apparent latest version of the OWL API at http://owlapi.sourceforge.net/documentation.html but the setup seems completely different.  I'm not sure if that's the only way to work with the OWL API now, or if I'm just missing something major.  Is there a way to download the OWL API version used in the first example above, or do I need to use this latest version?

This is the API you need to use with Protege 4.x  It is, as you note, completely different from the API used in Protege 3.x.

You will need to use this one to build plugins for Protege 4.x or pretty much just to use ontologies built with Protege 4.x if they make use of OWL 2 features.  If you are just starting, it would be best to just go with this and not concern yourself with the 3.x version and API.

Re: OWL API - what files are needed?

Nor Aza

On 22/04/2011 23:26, Tommy Minta wrote:
[...]

Hi Tommy,