OWL-DL Individuals

Shepherd, Michael
Hi Matthew,

Using the OWL-DL Individuals tab I have asserted a property value to be ClassA or ClassB.  How do I view the inferred individuals of this property.  In the individuals tab, all I see is [hidden email] reference to the anonymous type.

Thanks,

Mike
_______________
Michael Shepherd
XIG Automation Technologies
585-422-0568

Re: OWL-DL Individuals

Nick Drummond
Mike,

The individuals tab has no way of showing anonymous individuals,
therefore the @11.
Could you explain what you mean by "inferred individuals of this property".
Do you mean all individuals that are either As or Bs?

Nick

--

Nick Drummond

Re: OWL-DL Individuals

Matthew Horridge
Hi Mike,

Using the OWL-DL Individuals tab I have asserted a property value to be ClassA or ClassB.

o.k.

How do I view the inferred individuals of this property.

I don't think I understand the question - you can view the individuals that are inferred to be a member of a particular class - do you want to see which individuals belong to "ClassA or ClassB"?

Can you post some screenshots that might clarify the question?

  In the individuals tab, all I see is [hidden email] reference to the anonymous type.

I think I should probably hide these anonymous individuals - someone else has requested this.

Mike
_______________
Michael Shepherd
XIG Automation Technologies
585-422-0568

Re: OWL-DL Individuals

Shepherd, Michael
Sure, I can try to clarify...

I have ClassX that has a propertyX with a range of ClassA.  ClassB and ClassC are subclasses of ClassA.  I have an individual of ClassX in which I want propertyX to only contain all individuals of ClassB and Class C.  Rather than using the Individuals tab to assign all individuals of ClassB and ClassC, it would be useful to define the propertyX values as a union of ClassB and ClassC in case I add more individuals to ClassB or ClassC.  My understanding is that in the OWL-DL Individuals tab I could use Asserted Relationships to define propertyX to contain the value (ClassB or ClassC).  This would then be inferred by a reasoner that propertyX contained all individuals of ClassB and ClassC.

Is this not the correct why to assert relationships in the OWL-DL Individuals tab?  Is there another way to accomplish this such that everytime I add an individual to ClassB or ClassC that it can be inferred these are also values of propertyX?

Thanks,

Mike
_______________
Michael Shepherd
XIG Automation Technologies
585-422-0568

Re: OWL-DL Individuals

Matthew Horridge
Hi Mike,

I have ClassX that has a propertyX with a range of ClassA.

Just one more clarification.... How does this look on the classes tab?

ClassB and ClassC are subclasses of ClassA.  I have an individual of ClassX in which I want propertyX to only contain all individuals of ClassB and Class C.  Rather than using the Individuals tab to assign all individuals of ClassB and ClassC, it would be useful to define the propertyX values as a union of ClassB and ClassC in case I add more individuals to ClassB or ClassC.  My understanding is that in the OWL-DL Individuals tab I could use Asserted Relationships to define propertyX to contain the value (ClassB or ClassC).  This would then be inferred by a reasoner that propertyX contained all individuals of ClassB and ClassC.

Is this not the correct why to assert relationships in the OWL-DL Individuals tab?

No - using the individuals tab to do this means that the particular individual (that is an instance of ClassX) has a relationship along propertyX to an individual that is an instance of ClassB or ClassC - it doesn't mean that any individuals that have a propertyX relationship must be related to individuals from ClassB or ClassC.

If you want to say this, you need to add a universal restriction to ClassX - in the conditions widget on the classes tab - add a restriction that says "propertyX only (ClassB or ClassC)".  This will then mean that for any relationship

a -> propertyX -> b

where 'a' is an instance of ClassX, 'b' will be inferred to be a member of ClassB or ClassC

  Is there another way to accomplish this such that everytime I add an individual to ClassB or ClassC that it can be inferred these are also values of propertyX?

This is different to what I think you were asking above...

To do this, we need to have an inverse property of propertyX - lets call this invPropertyX.  Having created this inverse property you need to add a restriction to ClassB to say "invPropertyX some owl:Thing" and a restriction to ClassC to say "invPropertyX some owl:Thing" [1].  This means that any individuals that are asserted to be instances of ClassB or ClassC (or both ClassB and ClassC) will be inferred to have at least one invPropertyX relationship *from* them - since the inverse of invPropertyX is propertyX, they will be inferred to be the successor of (i.e. the "target" of, or values of) least one propertyX relationship.

Hope this makes sense :)

Matthew

[1]  You could also create an "auxiliary" (or holder) class that is equivalent to "ClassB or ClassC" and add the restriction "invPropertyX some owl:Thing" to this auxiliary class.

Thanks,

Mike