OWL-Properties as weighted arcs

Katja-2
Hi,
I'm looking for a possibility to build something like a directed graph from the classes and properties of my OWL ontology, where the properties form the weighted arcs. An example: Property P connects class A with cIass B, the value for this connection is x, and it connects class A with class C with the value y. Is there any work around to create such a value for a property?  As far as I know this isn't possible with an annotation, because  an annotation for a property  can be defined only once for a property and not for every  occurrence of the property.

Thanks!
Katja

[protege-owl] Re: OWL-Properties as weighted arcs

Olivier Dameron
Quoting katja <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a possibility to build something like a directed graph from
> the classes and properties of my OWL ontology, where the properties form the
> weighted arcs. An example: Property P connects class A with cIass B, the
> value for this connection is x, and it connects class A with class C with
> the value y. Is there any work around to create such a value for a property?
> As far as I know this isn't possible with an annotation, because  an
> annotation for a property  can be defined only once for a property and not
> for every  occurrence of the property.

Representing attributed relationships can be done by reification, i.e.
modeling your relation as a class, for which the weight is a property
(here a dataype property).
For instance, for representing weighted relations between instances of
Class_A and of Class_B, create a class MyWeightedRelation, and then
the properties:
- fromWeightedRelation : Class_A -> MyWeightedRelation
- toWeightedRealtion : MyWeightedRelation -> Class_B
- hasWeight : MyWeightedRelation -> xsd:float

Hope this helps
Olivier

[protege-owl] Re: OWL-Properties as weighted arcs

JMiller

When following this approach, does this mean the relationship cannot have symmetric, inverse, and transitive characteristics?

Jim

Olivier Dameron <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

08/05/2006 05:35 AM

Please respond to

cc
Subject

Quoting katja <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
> I'm looking for a possibility to build something like a directed graph from
> the classes and properties of my OWL ontology, where the properties form the
> weighted arcs. An example: Property P connects class A with cIass B, the
> value for this connection is x, and it connects class A with class C with
> the value y. Is there any work around to create such a value for a property?
> As far as I know this isn't possible with an annotation, because  an
> annotation for a property  can be defined only once for a property and not
> for every  occurrence of the property.

Representing attributed relationships can be done by reification, i.e.
modeling your relation as a class, for which the weight is a property
(here a dataype property).
For instance, for representing weighted relations between instances of
Class_A and of Class_B, create a class MyWeightedRelation, and then
the properties:
- fromWeightedRelation : Class_A -> MyWeightedRelation
- toWeightedRealtion : MyWeightedRelation -> Class_B
- hasWeight : MyWeightedRelation -> xsd:float

Hope this helps
Olivier

[protege-owl] Re: OWL-Properties as weighted arcs

Holger Knublauch
This is difficult, but to a certain extent they can, if you mirror the
reified property with a "real" property and then make the "real"
property symmetric etc.  I wrote about this in my blog:

http://composing-the-semantic-web.blogspot.com/2006/07/reifying-reified-relationships.html

Holger

TopQuadrant, Inc.
http://www.topbraidcomposer.com

James A Miller wrote:

> When following this approach, does this mean the relationship cannot
> have symmetric, inverse, and transitive characteristics?
>
> Jim
>

> *Olivier Dameron <[hidden email]>*
> Sent by: [hidden email]
>
> 08/05/2006 05:35 AM
> Please respond to

> cc
>
> Subject
> [protege-owl] Re: OWL-Properties as weighted arcs
>

> Quoting katja <[hidden email]>:
>
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  > I'm looking for a possibility to build something like a directed
> graph from
>  > the classes and properties of my OWL ontology, where the properties
> form the
>  > weighted arcs. An example: Property P connects class A with cIass B, the
>  > value for this connection is x, and it connects class A with class C with
>  > the value y. Is there any work around to create such a value for a
> property?
>  > As far as I know this isn't possible with an annotation, because  an
>  > annotation for a property  can be defined only once for a property
> and not
>  > for every  occurrence of the property.
>
> Representing attributed relationships can be done by reification, i.e.
> modeling your relation as a class, for which the weight is a property
> (here a dataype property).
> For instance, for representing weighted relations between instances of
> Class_A and of Class_B, create a class MyWeightedRelation, and then
> the properties:
> - fromWeightedRelation : Class_A -> MyWeightedRelation
> - toWeightedRealtion : MyWeightedRelation -> Class_B
> - hasWeight : MyWeightedRelation -> xsd:float
>
> Hope this helps
> Olivier

[protege-owl] Re: OWL-Properties as weighted arcs

Jennifer Vendetti-2
Katja,

You may be interested to work through the graph widget tutorial on the
Protege Web site.  The graph widget is a custom slot widget that
supports graphical creation of reified relations (among other things).
The tutorial uses the newspaper project, which is a frame-based
ontology, but the graph widget also works in Protege-OWL.

http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/tutorial/graph_widget/

Jennifer