OWLViz plugin proposed with Protégé 5.0.0 installed on a Mac El Capitan OSX 11

OWLViz plugin proposed with Protégé 5.0.0 installed on a Mac El Capitan OSX 11

Jean-Louis JANIN
Hello,

I cannot use OWLViz in Protégé 5.0.0 on my Mac El Capitan (OSX 11). I get this ERROR message :

"An error related to DOT has occurred. : This error was probably because OWLViz could not find the DOT application. Please ensure that the path to the DOT application is set properly".

This actuel path is /usr/local/bin/dot.

I don't know :

1) how to get on that path on my Mac,
2) what that "DOT application" looks like,
3) whether it is installed on my Mac,
4) Wether I should mention another path to get it on Protégé ?

Any help ?
--
Jean-Louis Janin

Re: OWLViz plugin proposed with Protégé 5.0.0 installed on a Mac El Capitan OSX 11

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi,

Have you installed Graphviz [1]? If you already have Graphviz installed you should be able to find the application using a Spotlight search. If not, you need to install it first. After Graphviz is installed, you need to set the “Path to DOT” in the Protege preferences to the correct location of your Graphviz installation.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Jul 18, 2016, at 10:40, Jean-Louis Janin <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I cannot use OWLViz in Protégé 5.0.0 on my Mac El Capitan (OSX 11). I get this ERROR message :

"An error related to DOT has occurred. : This error was probably because OWLViz could not find the DOT application. Please ensure that the path to the DOT application is set properly".

This actuel path is /usr/local/bin/dot.

I don't know :

1) how to get on that path on my Mac,
2) what that "DOT application" looks like,
3) whether it is installed on my Mac,
4) Wether I should mention another path to get it on Protégé ?

Any help ?
--
Jean-Louis Janin

Re: OWLViz plugin proposed with Protégé 5.0.0 installed on a Mac El Capitan OSX 11

Jean-Louis JANIN

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I am now registered on Graphviz platform and still perplex : Which release should I choose for El Capitan ? Is it obligatory to download software for developpers (which I am NOT) such as X code, before downloading the release ? Which one ? From where ? I just want to make OWLViz work on my Protégé 5.0.0 and noting else. Could you be a bit more explicit about downloading Graphviz ?

Cheers

Jean-Louis

Le 18/07/2016 à 19:48, Rafael Gonçalves a écrit :
[...]

There’s only one distribution of Graphviz, here’s the direct link to the download page for Mac OS X: http://www.graphviz.org/Download_macos.php. I have installed Graphviz v2.36 on OS X El Capitan, and it is not necessary to install any other (development) tools.

The OWLViz plugin is documented here: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLViz.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Jul 18, 2016, at 12:55, Jean-Louis Janin <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thank you for more help.

I have downloaded graphviz-2.36.0.pkg in the Applications directory of the Macintosh HD and installed Graphviz as an application in the same directory ? What is the "default" location ? Should I install it somewhere else ? What should be the path in the preferences of Protégé ?

Yours

Jean-Louis Janin

Le 18/07/2016 à 22:36, audilio Gonzales a écrit :
see :

http://enterprise-architecture.org/downloads?id=208

Downloads

an application in the Essential Viewer requires version 2.26.3 or above of Graphviz.

Installation Instructions

We strongly recommend installing Graphviz to its default location using the standard installer.

Default Path

Default Path: Windows

c:\Program Files\Graphviz*\dot.exe or c:\Program Files (x86)\Graphviz*\dot.exe

depending on which version of Windows you are using.

Default Path: Linux / Mac OSX

/usr/local/bin/dot or/usr/bin/dot

Environment Variable

If you have installed Graphviz somewhere other than the default location, you will need to define the environment variable GRAPHVIZ_DOT to point to the exact location of the DOT program. The variable must contain an executable, not a directory.

On Windows:

Create an environment variable GRAPHVIZ_DOT and point it to the DOT executable.

For example: d:\example\dot.exe

Consult your Windows documentation for help setting environment variables in your version of Windows.

On Linux/Mac OS-X

From the command line, use the following commands.

setenv GRAPHVIZ_DOT /usr/local/bin/graphviz/dot export GRAPHVIZ_DOT

Download

You can download these from the following the following location

http://www.graphviz.org

Troubleshooting

On OS X Yosemite (10.10.x) Mac, the installation of GraphViz may depend on X11. If you encounter a 'net.sourceforge.plantuml.svek.EmptySvgException' error from PlantUML, please see this forum post for further instructions to resolve this issue.

Images intégrées 1

[...]

Audilio GONZALES AGUILAR
Maître de conférences
Master Pro Documenta Gestion de l'information et de la documentation
Université Paul Valéry Montpellier III
Département de Documentation
http://www.univ-montp3.fr/
Skype : gemut58

Re: OWLViz plugin proposed with Protégé 5.0.0 installed on a Mac El Capitan OSX 11

Jean-Louis JANIN

After my message hereafter to audilio Gonzales ([hidden email]) I had another try with the path /usr/local/bon/dot and it works !

Thank you both for your help