Object properties render as annotation properties

Object properties render as annotation properties

Sridhar, Sriram [USA]

Hello Protégé support,

I have a .ttl which I opening in Protégé. When I do, the object properties are rendering as annotation properties. I’ve tried manually changing annotation properties to rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty, but this does not completely resolve the issue.

Has anyone else experienced, this, and if so is there a workaround? Any insight would be greatly appreciate.

I’ve attached a sample .ttl for reference.

Thanks,

Sri

Sriram Sridhar, Ph.D.

Associate

Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Cell: (617) 877-1485

initial.ttl (354K) Download Attachment

Re: Object properties render as annotation properties

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Sri,

The properties, as well as (afaict) nearly all other entities in the ontology you provided, are not declared in the .ttl file. Therefore, when the ontology is parsed, a decision is made by the OWL API as to how to interpret the properties. In order to avoid this ambiguity, the OWL 2 specification requires that a declaration axiom be stated for each entity used (not always though; e.g., built-in entities don’t need to be explicitly declared). Any ontology with undeclared entities is not valid OWL 2 (DL). This is your case. In order to fix the ontology provided you basically have to declare all entities used in it.

For more information on declarations in OWL see: http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Entity_Declarations_and_Typing

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Apr 7, 2015, at 06:57, Sridhar, Sriram [USA] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Protégé support,

I have a .ttl which I opening in Protégé. When I do, the object properties are rendering as annotation properties. I’ve tried manually changing annotation properties to rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty, but this does not completely resolve the issue.

Has anyone else experienced, this, and if so is there a workaround? Any insight would be greatly appreciate.

I’ve attached a sample .ttl for reference.

Thanks,
Sri

Sriram Sridhar, Ph.D.
Associate
Booz | Allen | Hamilton

Cell: (617) 877-1485

<initial.ttl>_______________________________________________

Re: [External] Re: Object properties render as annotation properties

Sridhar, Sriram [USA]

Thanks Rafael, works now.

Best,

Sri

Re: Object properties render as annotation properties

Marc Hebben
Hello Rafael,

I have nearly the same problem. Datatype properties are rendered as annotation properties, but I do not know what to do.

I created a new ontology with one class and some datatype properties (Country.owl attached). Additional I converted a csv (containing data for countries) to RDF/XML (01-countries-csv.rdf attached) and imported it in Country.owl. Now the Country.owl contains all the data from csv as individuals, but the datatype properties are rendered as annotation properties.

Do I have to declare all properties/individuals? If so, can you give me an example on how to do that?

Best regards

Marc Hebben

Country.owl
01-countries-csv.rdf

Re: Object properties render as annotation properties

samsontu
Hi,

You need to import Country.owl into 01-countries-csv.rdf, not the other way around. The imported ontologies are loaded before the importing ontology.

You can copy the <owl:Ontology rdf:about=“  …” ><owl:imports rdf:resource=“http://.../></owl:Ontology> lines in the country.owl file, paste into the rdf file, and edit the URIs. (Also remove the import in country.owl).

With best regards,
Samson

On Nov 25, 2015, at 8:53 AM, Marc Hebben <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Rafael,

I have nearly the same problem. Datatype properties are rendered as
annotation properties, but I do not know what to do.

I created a new ontology with one class and some datatype properties
(Country.owl attached). Additional I converted a csv (containing data for
countries) to RDF/XML (01-countries-csv.rdf attached) and imported it in
Country.owl. Now the Country.owl contains all the data from csv as
individuals, but the datatype properties are rendered as annotation
properties.

Do I have to declare all properties/individuals? If so, can you give me an
example on how to do that?

Best regards

Marc Hebben

Country.owl
<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4664038/Country.owl>
01-countries-csv.rdf
<http://protege-project.136.n4.nabble.com/file/n4664038/01-countries-csv.rdf>

Re: Object properties render as annotation properties

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Marc,

I’m afraid that the serialization of 01-countries-csv.rdf is broken, containing such XML elements as “OWLDataProperty_4abcc9e2_e566_4936_8e75_fa9d77605ab3”. Whatever code was used for the CSV conversion isn’t producing a proper OWL serialization. I recommend using the OWL API to produce a valid OWL ontology file as the output of your CSV transformation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

On Nov 25, 2015, at 10:08, Samson Tu <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

mariam

Can you give me a detailed example about entity declaration? I have the same problem. I am trying to open an ifcOWL ontology and object and data properties are interpreted as annotation properties..

Thanks, Maria.