Object properties show as annotation properties.

Object properties show as annotation properties.

Teun Theunissen

Dear users,

I am quit new to Protégé and was wondering why object properties are shown as annotation properties in Protégé.

I use protégé 5.0 build 15. I have made an extraction of dbpedia for Tim Berners Lee,  the foaf:depiction predicate shows as an annotation property instead

of an object property in Protégé.

The snippet:

:Tim_Berners-Lee rdf:type foaf:Person ,

                          :Agent ,

                          :Person ,

                          dul:Agent ,

                          dul:NaturalPerson ,

                          owl:NamedIndividual ,

                          owl:Thing ;

                          foaf:depiction <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:FilePath/Tim_Berners-Lee_2012.jpg> .

When I add a triple to define the predicate as an object property the predicate is show as an object property in Protégé.

foaf:depiction rdf:type owl:ObjectProperty .

My conclusion is that predicates that are defined in a referred ontology (foaf) are interpreted as annotation properties.

The main question is: is this by design? What is the reasoning behind it. Can it be a fault in my extraxtion? Is it a bug?

Kind regards

Teun Theunissen

Re: Object properties show as annotation properties.

Csongor Nyulas-2
Administrator
Hi Teun,
I don't have the "official" answer for you, but I think Matthew's answer to a related question from about a year ago should give you a pretty clear idea of what is going on:
https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/protege-user/2014-May/000683.html

Csongor

On 02/10/2015 04:33 AM, Teun Theunissen wrote:

[...]

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Teun,

On Feb 10, 2015, at 04:33, Teun Theunissen <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

My conclusion is that predicates that are defined in a referred ontology (foaf) are interpreted as annotation properties.

This isn’t true (see below).

The main question is: is this by design? What is the reasoning behind it.

Yes. But the right way to think about it is: it’s the result of lack of design on the input's part, that is, if you don’t specify what kind of property foaf:depiction is, then the decision on how to interpret that property is made for you.

Can it be a fault in my extraxtion?

Yes. An undeclared property is used, so you leave it up to Protege/OWL API to decide whether to treat foaf:depiction as an object, data, or annotation property.

Is it a bug?

No, it’s expected behaviour. The “bug” is in the ontology, as it is invalid OWL 2 (DL); one requirement for OWL 2 (DL) validity is that every OWL entity (i.e., class, individual or property) that is used in axioms must be declared via a declaration axiom.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Rafael

Re: Object properties show as annotation properties.

Teun Theunissen

Hi Rafael,

Thanks for clarifying.

Kind regards

Teun

Re: Object properties show as annotation properties.

Teun Theunissen

Hi Csongor,

The idea is clear now, it is as was expecting but fine to be sure.