OntoGraf as standalone tab/application

ollie88r
This post was updated on .
I am interested in using the OntoGraf plugin as/in a standalone application. I have found some (old) tutorials on the protege wiki (https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/UseTabInApplication), but have been unable to make them work with the most recent Mac release.

My end goal here is to create a standalone ontology visualizer that I can provide with an input (file, name string, etc), and get a provenance graph in return. If using OntoGraf in a standalone fashion is not the easiest/most appropriate solution for this, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

Edit: To be more specific about my objective here...I need to develop an application that can take a file input, query the ontology with this input, and return the provenance of this input. I suppose the output not need be graphical. However, the ability to continue to "walk" to provenance tree by expanding the returned nodes (as in OntoGraf) is very desirable/necessary. With the risk of sounding lazy, it seems like OntoGraf does all of this already, so if I could wrap my own application around this (taking advantage of the protege backend), that would be great.

Re: OntoGraf as standalone tab/application

Ghislain ATEMEZING
Hello,
What about this tool webvowl tool? [1]
Don't reinvent the wheel :)

HTH
Ghislain

El jue., 24 ago. 2017 a las 10:51, ollie88r (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
I am interested in using the OntoGraf plugin as/in a standalone application.
I have found some (old) tutorials on the protege wiki
(https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/UseTabInApplication), but have been
unable to make them work with the most recent Mac release.

My end goal here is to create a standalone ontology visualizer that I can
provide with an input (file, name string, etc), and get a provenance graph
in return. If using OntoGraf in a standalone fashion is not the easiest/most
appropriate solution for this, does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none" (W. Shakespeare)
Web: http://atemezing.org

Re: OntoGraf as standalone tab/application

ollie88r
Thank you for the reply.

I am not sure this ticks all the boxes; at least not without some heavy code/functionality modifications.

One of the features I like about OntoGraf a lot, is keeping the graph small. It is nice that a search returns only the node and its direct children, and then gives the option to expand each child as desired. WebVOWL displays the entire ontology at once and I haven't been able to figure out (with the default functionality) how to get a behavior similar to what OntoGraf does.

That said, I've only given this option a quick glance and am not sure what modifications would even be possible.

I was thinking that even something like the DLQueryTab (https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/DLQueryTab) might be of use here. I don't necessarily need pretty graph visualizations, just a nice way to walk an ontology. It wouldn't surprise me if I am making this more difficult than it needs to be.