Ontology Development

Evangelia Molyva

Is there any way that I can create instances that include clickable
links?
Thank you
Evangelia Molyva

Re: Ontology Development

Tania Tudorache

Hi Evangelia,

You can use the URLWidget for slots of type String and cardinality one.
Go to the forms tab of the class you want to configure, then select the
slot of type String and set the widget type to "URLWidget". If you enter
a valid URL as a slot value in the instance form, you will be able to
browse the link in a browser.

Tania

Evangelia Molyva wrote:

>Is there any way that I can create instances that include clickable
>links?
>Thank you
>Evangelia Molyva

Re: Ontology Development

Evangelia Molyva

Tania,
that worked.I finally created instances with clickable URLs using the
appropriate Widget.
Thank you so much
Evangelia

Ontology Development

Steve Carver

All,

We  are about to get on board with the Semantic Web and creating ontologies within our organization. We want to start out with something relatively small and then work our way up to bigger things.

My question is this. What would be the requirements for setting up a server or work station. Are there minimum hardware requirements? What software would I have to have loaded to get this up and running. We would like to Demo something to show proof of concept. Are there any Database software requirements that would be needed. We want to be able to search and store the results from our queries and then forward our results to someone in the field who needs this information.

I am a novice here. I just need to know what the requirements are. i.e
Internet access, Protege, plug-ins, database software and the like.

/R Steve

Re: Ontology Development

Tania Tudorache

Hi Steve,

there are no special hardware or sofware requirements for running
Protege. You need to install Java, version 1.4.2 or bigger for running
the current release (version 3.1.1) or java 1.5 for running Protege 3.2
beta.

If you will use large ontologies or need multi-user capabilities, you
should use the database backend. Protégé supports any database that has
a JDBC 1.0 driver. It has been used with Oracle, MySQL, Microsoft SQL
Server, and Microsoft Access. For setting up the Protege server, please
consult: http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/multiuser/index.html

Please check out our Documentation page
(http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/users.html) and wiki
(http://protege.cim3.net/wiki/) which are very good resources for
further information.

Protege is highly extensible and  has a plug-in based architecture.
There are already a big number of plugins available
(http://protege.stanford.edu/download/plugins.html). If none of the
plugins suits your needs, you can implement pretty easily your own
plugin. (http://protege.stanford.edu/doc/dev.html#plugins)

To get an impression in which kind of  projects Protege has already been
used, you can check out our wiki page
(http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ProjectsThatUseProtege).

Cheers,
Tania