Ontology Research

Jason Morris

Hello All Protégé Folks,

I am conducting research into the general need to create a formal
domain ontology as a necessary prerequisite in the development of an
expert system.  Since you are all actively involved in using what is
arguably the premier ontology tool set, I thought that I'd take a
moment to ask for your support.

If you would be willing to:

o Answer a very short online survey (no more than 10 questions) about
ontology and how you use it, and/or
o You would like to contribute an anecdote or brief case study (~2000
words or less),

please reply to this email so that I can add you to my qualified
response list.  The anecdotes about applied ontology can span
professional or academic research stories, application and
implementation stories, or practical use cases.

Stories related to expert systems development are especially valuable,
and of course you can mention Protégé all you want!  I will be happy
to cite your contribution and send you a copy of the published
results.

Thanks in advance for your participation!
Sincerely,

Jason Morris
Engineering and Technology Management Department
Portland State University, Portland, OR
Co-moderator Jess listserver http://www.jessrules.com/jess/mailing_list.shtml
Moderator Jess Wiki http://www.jessrules.com/jesswiki/view

P.S. If you are using Protégé with Jess, please let me know if I can
help you.  I'll give it my best shot!

Re: Ontology Research

Yolanda Blanco Fernández

Jason Morris wrote:

>Hello All Protégé Folks,
>
>I am conducting research into the general need to create a formal
>domain ontology as a necessary prerequisite in the development of an
>expert system.  Since you are all actively involved in using what is
>arguably the premier ontology tool set, I thought that I'd take a
>moment to ask for your support.
>
>If you would be willing to:
>
>o Answer a very short online survey (no more than 10 questions) about
>ontology and how you use it, and/or
>o You would like to contribute an anecdote or brief case study (~2000
>words or less),
>
>please reply to this email so that I can add you to my qualified
>response list.  The anecdotes about applied ontology can span
>professional or academic research stories, application and
>implementation stories, or practical use cases.
>
>Stories related to expert systems development are especially valuable,
>and of course you can mention Protégé all you want!  I will be happy
>to cite your contribution and send you a copy of the published
>results.
>
>Thanks in advance for your participation!
>Sincerely,
>
>Jason Morris
>Engineering and Technology Management Department
>Portland State University, Portland, OR
>Co-moderator Jess listserver http://www.jessrules.com/jess/mailing_list.shtml
>Moderator Jess Wiki http://www.jessrules.com/jesswiki/view
>
>P.S. If you are using Protégé with Jess, please let me know if I can
>help you.  I'll give it my best shot!

Dear Jason,

My name is Yolanda Blanco and I am working on a TV recommender system
(named AVATAR) based on semantic reasoning.
I have implemented an OWL ontology about the knowledge of the TV domain
by using the Protégé tool.
The goal of the AVATAR system is to select automatically TV contents
personalized to the target user's preferences.
My recommendation algorithms reason about the classes, instances and
properties defined in the TV ontology, with the goal of discovering TV
programs semantically related to those ones the user watched in the
past. These contents are finally suggested to the target user.
The knowledge formalized in the OWL ontology  and the proposed inference
algorithms allow to uncover relationships between TV contents, that
would go unnoticed for the existing approaches lacking in semantic
reasoning capabilities.

I will be happy to add the list mentioned in your mail  in order to
share expertise and knowledge in it.

Kind regards,

Yolanda