Ontology based on a WordNet

Joel Cordeiro

Hi.
I need to create a ontology based on a WordNet. When i say based on
wordnet, i would mean, where each node is just a unique entity in all
the ontology concepts, and each node has a list of word associated with
that.
I'm having some dificults with that, cause i'm a beginner on protege,
and all this funcionalities with slots and all this types of slots are
confusying me.

That's useful in my project, and i cannot use the really WordNet, cause
it is too complete for that. The intention is having a ontology with a
specific domain.

Anyone can help me about how to construct an ontology like that?

Thanks,
Joel Cordeiro

Re: Ontology based on a WordNet

starred

Hi Joel,

you can download the OntoLing plugin:

http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/

it is mainly thought for annotating ontological content with linguistic information, but there are some functionalities for editing an ontology starting from the taxonomical structure of a linguistic resource. That is, using wordnet, adding subclasses of a concept using hyponyms of a synset, building entire subtrees etc...

Cheers,

Armando

Ing. Armando Stellato
AI Research Group,
Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production
University of Roma, Tor Vergata
Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
tel: +39 06 7259 7718/7334 (office);
     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
fax: +39 06 7259 7460
e_mail: [hidden email]

Hi Armando,

i guess you don't understood what i mean.
My question is how does protege allow you, to have a synonym list of
words for each concept? is that possible?
Cause then i need to import that to my project.
I guess the plugin you told me is just to see the wordsense of each
concept node in the ontology, but does'n but the word sense on the ontology.

I tried creating a property/slot with the name Synonym and put there the
wordlist of each concepts in the values/template slots.
But i doesn't work, cause a slot is the same for all concepts and in
consequence the wordlist too, so it is not possible to define a wordlist
for each concept.
Do you know how can i do that?

Thanks for the attention,
Joel Cordeiro

Armando Stellato wrote:

>Hi Joel,
>
>you can download the OntoLing plugin:
>
>http://ai-nlp.info.uniroma2.it/software/OntoLing/
>
>it is mainly thought for annotating ontological content with linguistic information, but there are some functionalities for editing an ontology starting from the taxonomical structure of a linguistic resource. That is, using wordnet, adding subclasses of a concept using hyponyms of a synset, building entire subtrees etc...
>
>Cheers,
>
>Armando

>Ing. Armando Stellato
>AI Research Group,
>Dept. of Computer Science, Systems and Production
>University of Roma, Tor Vergata
>Via del Politecnico 1 00133 ROMA (ITALY)
>tel: +39 06 7259 7718/7334 (office);
>     +39 06 7259 7332 (lab)
>fax: +39 06 7259 7460
>e_mail: [hidden email]

Jennifer Vendetti-2

Joel,

Joel Cordeiro wrote:

>i guess you don't understood what i mean.  My question is how does protege allow you, to have a synonym list of
>words for each concept? is that possible?

You may find the following page on our Wiki about adding synonyms to
class names useful:

http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CreatingSynonyms

Jennifer