Ontology

Klaus Schaefers
Hi,

Is it possible to express some logical relation between the predicates in an
ontology? I want to express something like if x is the father of y
(father(x,y)) and z is the sister of y (sister(z,y)) then you can deduce
that x ist the father of z too. I know that you can somethink like this in
Prolog etc, but I'm not sure how to do so in OWL. Do I have to use the class
concepts?

Thanx,

Klaus

Re: Ontology

Olivier Dameron
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 11:07:07 +0100, "Klaus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it possible to express some logical relation between the predicates in an
> ontology? I want to express something like if x is the father of y
> (father(x,y)) and z is the sister of y (sister(z,y)) then you can deduce
> that x ist the father of z too. I know that you can somethink like this in
> Prolog etc, but I'm not sure how to do so in OWL. Do I have to use the class
> concepts?

I don't think that you can do this with vanilia owl. You will need to
use extensions such as ruleml or swrl in order to represent such
logical relationships

Olivier

Re: Ontology

Hai Wang
Hi Klaus,
It may go beyond the express power of OWL DL, as it involves the
composing properties.
You can express it in SWRL.

Cheers
Hai

On 20 Jan 2006, at 10:07, Klaus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to express some logical relation between the
> predicates in an
> ontology? I want to express something like if x is the father of y
> (father(x,y)) and z is the sister of y (sister(z,y)) then you can
> deduce
> that x ist the father of z too. I know that you can somethink like
> this in
> Prolog etc, but I'm not sure how to do so in OWL. Do I have to use
> the class
> concepts?
>
> Thanx,
>
> Klaus