Ontology visualisation tools

Jang-Vijay Singh
Hi,

What tools do people use (if any) to graphically visualise ontologies (class hierarchies, relationships, properties, cardinalities).

A few tools listed on the link below like OWLPropViz,  OWLViz, OntoGraph seemed promising but none of these seem to be available or getting actively developed:

An alternative approach I have seen often is to represent entities & relationships in notations like UML or even ER diagrams.
Is there an easy way to export an OWL ontology into one of these or equivalent graphical notations?

Thanks,
JVS

Re: Ontology visualisation tools

sf433

You may want to look at http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/. Looks like there’s even a Protégé plugin (http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/protegevowl.html).

Re: Ontology visualisation tools

Michael DeBellis-2
I’ve used Vowl.  It looks very cool and I think it’s worth a look although to be honest in terms of really making the ontology understandable I think it’s marginally useful. I use it more as kind of a “isn’t this cool” effect for people who aren’t that familiar with ontologies and I want to grab their interest.

I agree about the current visualization tools, it may be that I’ve just never figured out how to use them effectively but if I want a diagram I usually just make it in PowerPoint. For example, I forget which tool does this but one of them constantly redraws the graph. So I’ll spend a lot of time tweaking it then make one more minor change and suddenly it redraws the whole graph and I’m back to square one. I’m pretty impatient and also pretty good with PowerPoint so it doesn’t take much for me to just give up on the tools and do it manually.

Also, I think screen shots of many of the standard non-graphical views for class and property hierarchies, tables for property values, are much easier to use and can communicate a lot of the same info.

Michael

On Oct 25, 2018, at 5:33 AM, Steven Michael Folsom <[hidden email]> wrote:

You may want to look at http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/. Looks like there’s even a Protégé plugin (http://vowl.visualdataweb.org/protegevowl.html).

Re: Ontology visualisation tools

Csongor Nyulas
Both OWLViz and OntoGraf plugins are available, and do work in the latest version of Protege.
You can get them through the auto-update machanism (File -> Check for Plugins...).

Note: For OWLViz to work you need to separately install GraphViz and you may need to configure the plug-in to point to the DOT application (File -> Preferences... -> OWLViz -> Path to DOT)

These tools may not be actively developed, but they still work and do exactly what they were implemented to do, which may or may not be what you are looking for.

Csongor

On 10/25/18 2:47 AM, Jang-Vijay Singh wrote:
Hi,

What tools do people use (if any) to graphically visualise ontologies (class hierarchies, relationships, properties, cardinalities).

A few tools listed on the link below like OWLPropViz,  OWLViz, OntoGraph seemed promising but none of these seem to be available or getting actively developed:

An alternative approach I have seen often is to represent entities & relationships in notations like UML or even ER diagrams.
Is there an easy way to export an OWL ontology into one of these or equivalent graphical notations?

Thanks,
JVS

Re: Ontology visualisation tools

Jang-Vijay Singh
Dear Group,
Thank you for the helpful information.
I subsequently realised that OntoGraph and OWLViz were both visible under the Window->Tabs menu (I'm using Protege version 5.1.0) as Csongor helpfully pointed out.

The usability of both of these is limited. OWLViz did not even render my modestly sized ontology.
In OntoGraph, only owl:Thing shows up first and I need to arrange everything and it still does not show all important information (like cardinalities).

VOVL that Steven shared displays the best or best looking visualisation - shows classes, hierarchy, object/data properties but not cardinality - so there's no way to distinguish if an object property is meant to show a one-to-one, one-to-many, one-to-any relationship etc.
This is the one that keeps re-arranging itself and on first load, takes a long time to "arrange" objects on screen.

I think I might be biased by past experience of representing knowledge (or at least schema) in UML as key abstractions/entities - with tool support, its easy to generateJava entity objects from the diagram (or vice versa) so I was hoping something would easily render Ontology knowledge in a similar fashion.

Thank you again for the helpful hints, everyone. I will keep looking just to avoid drawing things in powerpoint!

JVS