Ontology with a lot of instances

Juan Sequeda
Hi all

I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of instances.

How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
end.

thanks for the pointers!

--
Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
Systems and Computer Engineering Student

"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Re: Ontology with a lot of instances

Christian Fauré-2
I think one of the purpose of the Forms is to do this.
Regards,

Christian
Le 16 mars 06 à 20:18, Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente a écrit :

> Hi all
>
> I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of
> instances.
>
> How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
> there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
> file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
> end.
>
> thanks for the pointers!
>
> --
> Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
> Systems and Computer Engineering Student
> Universidad del Valle
> Tel: +57 2 516 2612
> Fax: +57 2 516 2613
> Cel: +57 310 390 1211
> Cali, Colombia
> Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
> ICQ: 323562510
> AIM: jfsequeda
> MSN: [hidden email]
> GTalk: [hidden email]
> www.superbacano.com
>
> "No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Re: Ontology with a lot of instances

Massimo Coletti

Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente ha scritto:
> Hi all
>
> I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of instances.

I have created a file-based ontology with about 11.000 individuals, and
few classes. It loads in less than a minute, and doesn't create
performance problems during navigation. My PC is a P4 1GB RAM PC, WXP
platform.
> How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
> there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
> file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
> end.

I created the above file with an XSLT tranformation from an XML source
file with a completeley different schema, using Saxon 8. The
transformation takes less than 1 min, but requires -Xmx256M

> thanks for the pointers!
>
> --
> Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
> Systems and Computer Engineering Student
> Universidad del Valle
> Tel: +57 2 516 2612
> Fax: +57 2 516 2613
> Cel: +57 310 390 1211
> Cali, Colombia
> Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
> ICQ: 323562510
> AIM: jfsequeda
> MSN: [hidden email]
> GTalk: [hidden email]
> www.superbacano.com
>
> "No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Re: Ontology with a lot of instances

Nick Drummond
Juan,

The main potential problems arise if you want to reason with many
individuals.
One of the solutions to this problem is the InstanceStore [1].

For getting many individuals in programmatically, you might also want to
look at the scripting tab [2]

Nick

[1] http://instancestore.man.ac.uk/
[2] http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/dameron/protegeScript/

Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of instances.
>
>How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
>there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
>file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
>end.
>
>thanks for the pointers!
>
>--
>Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
>Systems and Computer Engineering Student
>Universidad del Valle
>Tel: +57 2 516 2612
>Fax: +57 2 516 2613
>Cel: +57 310 390 1211
>Cali, Colombia
>Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
>ICQ: 323562510
>AIM: jfsequeda
>MSN: [hidden email]
>GTalk: [hidden email]
>[hidden email]
>[hidden email]
>www.superbacano.com
>
>"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Nick Drummond

Re: Ontology with a lot of instances

lesego phoshane
Thanks for all your help during and after completion of my honours project in e-learning principles. your software helped me a great deal.unfortunately my mailbox is oversize now due to huge in-flow of your e-mails I would kindly ask for the huge number of e-mails being recived from your team to be reduced.

Thank you once again.

Later.

On 3/22/06, Nick Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
Juan,

The main potential problems arise if you want to reason with many
individuals.
One of the solutions to this problem is the InstanceStore [1].

For getting many individuals in programmatically, you might also want to
look at the scripting tab [2]

Nick

[1] http://instancestore.man.ac.uk/
[2] http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/dameron/protegeScript/

Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of instances.
>
>How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
>there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
>file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
>end.
>
>thanks for the pointers!
>
>--
>Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
>Systems and Computer Engineering Student
>Universidad del Valle
>Tel: +57 2 516 2612
>Fax: +57 2 516 2613
>Cel: +57 310 390 1211
>Cali, Colombia
>Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
>ICQ: 323562510
>AIM: jfsequeda
>MSN: [hidden email]
>GTalk: [hidden email]
>[hidden email]
>[hidden email]
>www.superbacano.com
>
>"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"

Nick Drummond

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/ <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

Large number of messages (was Re: Ontology with a lot of instances)

Rinke Hoekstra-3
Dear Lesego,

You can use a newsreader (such as Outlook Express or Thunderbird) to
connect to the news.gmane.org newsserver. This server hosts the archive
of this mailing list in the newsgroup "gmane.comp.misc.ontology.protege.owl"

I advise you to unsubscribe from the regular mailinglist (at the protege
website), and register your email address as 'poster'. This will cease
the flow of messages in your mailbox, and you can still read the
messages posted to this list without hassle!

Hope that helps,

        Rinke Hoekstra

lesego phoshane wrote:

> Thanks for all your help during and after completion of my honours
> project in e-learning principles. your software helped me a great
> deal.unfortunately my mailbox is oversize now due to huge in-flow of
> your e-mails I would kindly ask for the huge number of e-mails being
> recived from your team to be reduced.
>
> Thank you once again.
>
> Later.
>
> On 3/22/06, *Nick Drummond* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Juan,
>
>     The main potential problems arise if you want to reason with many
>     individuals.
>     One of the solutions to this problem is the InstanceStore [1].
>
>     For getting many individuals in programmatically, you might also
>     want to
>     look at the scripting tab [2]
>
>     Nick
>
>     [1] http://instancestore.man.ac.uk/
>     [2] http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/dameron/protegeScript/
>     <http://smi-web.stanford.edu/people/dameron/protegeScript/>
>
>     Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente wrote:
>
>      >Hi all
>      >
>      >I am wondering about how efficent is an ontology with a lot of
>     instances.
>      >
>      >How do i have to create the instances? Always through protege? Is
>      >there a way to insert the instance and automaticly update the .owl
>      >file. Or do I always have to open the .owl file and insert them at the
>      >end.
>      >
>      >thanks for the pointers!
>      >
>      >--
>      >Juan Federico Sequeda Sanclemente
>      >Systems and Computer Engineering Student
>      >Universidad del Valle
>      >Tel: +57 2 516 2612
>      >Fax: +57 2 516 2613
>      >Cel: +57 310 390 1211
>      >Cali, Colombia
>      >Web: http://libertad.univalle.edu.co/~jsequeda
>      >ICQ: 323562510
>      >AIM: jfsequeda
>      >MSN: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >GTalk: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >www.superbacano.com <http://www.superbacano.com>
>      >
>      >"No es bacano... sino Superbacano!"
>      >-------------------------------------------------------------------------
>      >To unsubscribe go to
>     http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>
>     --
>
>     Nick Drummond
>
>     http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~drummond/
>     <http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/%7Edrummond/>

--------------------------------------
Rinke Hoekstra         [hidden email]
T: +31-20-5253499    F: +31-20-5253495
Leibniz Center for Law,    Law Faculty
University of Amsterdam,   PO Box 1030
1000 BA  Amsterdam,    The Netherlands

Re: Ontology with a lot of instances

Juan Sequeda
Hi Nick

Thanks for the info!!!  This is a great help because you have solved a
big question that our team has had about instances.