Owl import vs open and view all

Bill Dyla
Let me say upfront I have a solution for my problem. I’m looking to better understand the difference between importing and loading each ontology and using view all loaded.

I’ve got four ontologies, three of which are basic  taxonomic data and the fourth a hierarchy that refers to the others using owl intersection and union.

If I import the three supporting ontologies and start the reasoner all classes are correctly displayed in asserted and inferred views; all works.

However, If I open all files in the same window, start the reasoner on each, and set my view to all loaded, there there many rdfs:subClassOf assertions that don’t show in either asserted or inferred heirarchy windows. in addition, I don’t get correct superclass inferences in DLQuery

Thanks for your help

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Owl import vs open and view all

samsontu
I think loading the four ontologies in the same window and viewing them together doesn’t change the fact that they are four separate, isolated ontologies. Being able to view them together is a Protege UI feature. The OWL structural specification document says that [1]:

"An OWL 2 ontology can import other ontologies in order to gain access to their entities, expressions, and axioms, thus providing the basic facility for ontology modularization."

Without the import statement, an ontology can reference entities in other ontologies but doesn’t have access to expressions and axioms declares in other ontologies.

With best regards,
Samson

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-syntax/#Imports

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment