P4 Support for SWRL

Silvi Hudson
Hi,

I am creating an ontology using Protege 4. I want to apply some restrictions that have non-tree structure using SWRL rules. I am not quite sure if the Rules view in P4 works. I guess, my questions is, what's the status of P4 supports for SWRL?

Would you please give me some directions on what should I do to make that happen as I am planning to use Jena rule engine later to make use of this ontology.

Thanks,
Silvi

Re: P4 Support for SWRL

Nick Drummond
of SWRL support is below:

You can load straighforward SWRL into p4 (that is - no custom builtins).
You can view rules in the SWRL view.
SWRL will be sent to reasoners and handled by them if they support it
(eg pellet).
There is no editing in p4.

There is currently no concrete timescale for adding rule editing for
SWRL but this is certainly unlikely to be implemented in the next few
months because of a lack of resources.

Nick

2009/1/23 Silvi Hudson <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> I am creating an ontology using Protege 4. I want to apply some restrictions
> that have non-tree structure using SWRL rules. I am not quite sure if the
> Rules view in P4 works. I guess, my questions is, what's the status of P4
> supports for SWRL?
>
> Would you please give me some directions on what should I do to make that
> happen as I am planning to use Jena rule engine later to make use of this
> ontology.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvi

Re: P4 Support for SWRL

Michel_Dumontier
Nick,
 What then is the syntax for SWRL rules so we can build our own?

-=Michel=-

You can load straighforward SWRL into p4 (that is - no custom builtins).
You can view rules in the SWRL view.
SWRL will be sent to reasoners and handled by them if they support it
(eg pellet).
There is no editing in p4.

There is currently no concrete timescale for adding rule editing for
SWRL but this is certainly unlikely to be implemented in the next few
months because of a lack of resources.

Nick

2009/1/23 Silvi Hudson <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I am creating an ontology using Protege 4. I want to apply some
restrictions
> that have non-tree structure using SWRL rules. I am not quite sure if
the
> Rules view in P4 works. I guess, my questions is, what's the status of
P4
> supports for SWRL?
>
> Would you please give me some directions on what should I do to make
that
> happen as I am planning to use Jena rule engine later to make use of
this

> ontology.
>
> Thanks,
> Silvi

Re: P4 Support for SWRL

Nick Drummond
Hi Michel,

I don't know which version of the specs the OWL API is implemented
against, but I would start here [1].

Probably best not to write the RDF/XML yourself though. Protege3.4 has
a SWRL editor built in. We we hoping this would get ported but of
course no money to pay anyone to do it. Just be careful not to use the
additional builtins (like SQWRL) if you want it to load in P4.

I haven't experimented with SWRL at all so I leave it to others to
recount experiences.

Cheers

Nick

[1] http://www.w3.org/Submission/SWRL/