PAL constraints to OWL conversion?

urrfaust
Hello list,

I'm wondering if there exists an automated way of converting PAL constraints to OWL. I have an old ontology in a .pins file that contains several PAL constraints, so in Protégé 3.5 build 663 (the latest 3.5 build, I think) I tried Export to Format->OWL but the PAL constraints don't get transformed as I was hoping. Basically for each constraint I get the following:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="KB_2321_00012">
    <rdf:type rdf:datatype="java:edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.DefaultCls">Cls(:PAL-CONSTRAINT)</rdf:type>
 </rdf:Description>

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Simone

Re: PAL constraints to OWL conversion?

samsontu
Hi Simone,

I think you are out of luck. There is no way to convert PAL constraints to OWL. Syntactically, PAL used first-order predicate logic, which is more general than OWL's description logic.

With best regards,
Samson