[POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

[POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

Massimo Coletti
Protege 3.2 build 311, same behavior under WXP and Linux/Ubuntu.

I have saved an ontology, with inclusion. Reloading it, I see the
"Metadata" pane with a big red pane, green bordered, "The Ugly Widget
TM", instead of the namespaces list.

I attach the involved files.

Any hint?

Thanks,

Massimo

Here is the console output:

cwd: C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta\
cmd: "C:\Programmi\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\java.exe" -Xms10000000
-Xmx100000000 -cl
asspath
"C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta\protege.jar;C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta
\looks.jar;C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta\unicode_panel.jar;C:\Programmi\Protege_
3.2_beta\driver.jar;C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta\driver0.jar;C:\Programmi\Prote
ge_3.2_beta\driver1.jar;C:\Programmi\Protege_3.2_beta\driver2.jar;C:\Programmi\P
rotege_3.2_beta\lax.jar;" com.zerog.lax.LAX
"C:/Programmi/Protege_3.2_beta/Prote
ge.lax" "c:/tmp/lax5FAE.tmp"
INFO: No log configuration file available
CONFIG: Protege 3.2 Build 311, JVM 1.5.0_06-b05, memory=99M, Windows XP,
encodin
g=UTF-8, language=it, country=IT
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl - OWL Plugin
CONFIG: Loaded plugin ca.uvic.cs.chisel.jambalaya - Jambalaya
CONFIG: Loaded plugin dfki.protege.ontoviz
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.standford.smi.protegex.storage.uml - UML Backend
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.script - Script Plugin
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.standard_extensions -
Graph Widg
et, Table Widget
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protege.stringsearch - String
Search Tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.rdf_backend - RDF Backend
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.changes - Changes tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.pal_tabs - PAL Tabs
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.ezpal - EZPal Tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.facets_tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.instance_tree
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.prompt - PROMPT tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.psm - PSM Librarian
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.umls_tab - UMLS Tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.widget.date
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.wordnet - WordNet Tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.stanford.smi.protegex.xml_tab - XML Tab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.uchsc.ccp.knowtator - Knowtator
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.washington.datagenie
CONFIG: Loaded plugin edu.washington.datagenieNONE
CONFIG: Loaded plugin JessTab - JessTab Plugin
CONFIG: Loaded plugin org.algernon - Algernon
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.iam.soton.akt.tgviztab - TGVizTab
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.abstractsyntax
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.debugger
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.manchesterowlsyntaxeditor
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owldoc
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.owlviz
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.protege.wizard - Basic Wizards
CONFIG: Loaded plugin uk.ac.man.cs.mig.coode.protege.wizard.owl - OWL
Wizards
[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
http://www.mcoletti.net/norm-reference-ontology (fr
om P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl)
[ProtegeOWLParser] Completed triple loading after 171 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed lists after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed anonymous classes after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed deprecated classes after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed properties after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed named classes after 16 ms
INFO: Project load time for file:/P:/kb/l196/articolato-l196.pprj: 6 sec
WARNING: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.imports.ImportsPanel.<in
it>(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.OWLNamespacesPanel.<init
 >(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.OWLNamespacesWidget.init
ialize(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.WidgetUtilities.setupSlotWidget(Unkno
wn Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.WidgetUtilities.createSlotWidget(Unkn
own Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.FormWidget.createWidget(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.FormWidget.createWidgets(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.FormWidget.initializeWidgets(Unknown
Source)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.FormWidget.initialize(Unknown
Source)

        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.WidgetUtilities.createClsWidget(Unkno
wn Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.getDesignTimeClsWidget(Unknown
 Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.model.Project.createRuntimeClsWidget(Unknown
 Source)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.InstanceDisplay.getWidget(Unknown
Source)

        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.InstanceDisplay.addRuntimeWidgets(Unknown
 Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.InstanceDisplay.setInstance(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.InstanceDisplay.setInstance(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.OWLMetadataTab.createMai
nPanel(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.OWLMetadataTab.initializ
e(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.widget.WidgetUtilities.createTabWidget(Unkno
wn Source)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectView.addTab(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectView.createTabbedPane(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectView.<init>(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.displayCurrentProject(Unkn
own Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.displayCurrentProject(Unkn
own Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.openProjectRequest(Unknown
 Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.WelcomeDialog.openOtherButton_actionPerfo
rmed(Unknown Source)
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.WelcomeDialog$3.actionPerformed(Unknown S
ource)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
> [...]

Source)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown
Source)
        at
javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(Unknown Sour
ce)
        at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)
        at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
Source)

        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown

Jambalaya, Release: 2.3.1, Build: 1, 2005/10/28 16:30
CHISEL Group, University of Victoria, [hidden email]

Starting Wizards v1.0 beta build 11 ...
INFO: UI display time = 7 sec

l196.zip (44K) Download Attachment

Re: [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

Hugo Ferreira
Hi Massimo,

I have had some issues with this also. Are you importing any ontologies?
Are you working behind a fire-wall or proxy? Have you edited the owl
files in various versions of Protege?

HF

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> [...]
> Source)
>        at java.awt.Dialog$1.run(Unknown Source)
>        at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
>        at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown
> Source)
>
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
> Source)
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
>        at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)
> -- WidgetUtilities.createSlotWidget()
>
> Jambalaya, Release: 2.3.1, Build: 1, 2005/10/28 16:30
> CHISEL Group, University of Victoria, [hidden email]
>
> Starting Wizards v1.0 beta build 11 ...
> INFO: UI display time = 7 sec

Re: [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

I have tried also to install build 318, the problem is still there.

It seems not linked to the import mechanism, but come when I use as the
Ontology URI the following urn:
urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196

This urn is defined in the website www.normeinrete.it of Italian
Government, where all the italian laws are published, and identified
using a standard urn schema.

If I create a new owl project from scratch with Protege, with this uri,
one class and one instance, I save it and then reload, now I get a
"Project Load Error" window, with the same Null Pointer Exception. No
import is involved.

Looking at RFC23296 this syntax seems correct.

Cheers,

Massimo

Massimo Coletti wrote:
> Hi,
> I have tried also to install build 318, the problem is still there.
>
> It seems not linked to the import mechanism, but come when I use as the
> Ontology URI the following urn:
> urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196

This seems to be in accordance with my experience. The import mechanism
seems to have problems. A have a similar problem.

> This urn is defined in the website www.normeinrete.it of Italian
> Government, where all the italian laws are published, and identified
> using a standard urn schema.

If you are behind a proxy then use the java VM command line to bypass
this. An example follows:

$JAVA_PATH/java -Dhttp.proxyHost=??????? -Dhttp.proxyPort=??? $OPTIONS
-cp $JARS $MAIN_CLASS $1

Also check that the connection to www.normeinrete.it is in fact
established (In Linux run netstat).

> If I create a new owl project from scratch with Protege, with this uri,
> one class and one instance, I save it

Did you download and make a import redirect for the
urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196? Is this listed in one
of the project files that <project-name>.repository? Is it the file
P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl?

> and then reload, now I get a
> "Project Load Error" window, with the same Null Pointer Exception. No
> import is involved.
>

> Looking at RFC23296 this syntax seems correct.

My checks on OWL and RDf validity don't show an error. I think this is
protege related only.

Can you show me the start of the OWL file?

HF.

> Cheers,
>
> Massimo

Re: [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

Massimo Coletti
Thanks, Hugo,

Hugo Ferreira ha scritto:

> Hi Massimo,
>
> Massimo Coletti wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have tried also to install build 318, the problem is still there.
>>
>> It seems not linked to the import mechanism, but come when I use as
>> the Ontology URI the following urn:
>> urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196
>>

> This seems to be in accordance with my experience. The import
> mechanism seems to have problems. A have a similar problem.
>
>> This urn is defined in the website www.normeinrete.it of Italian
>> Government, where all the italian laws are published, and identified
>> using a standard urn schema.
>>

> If you are behind a proxy then use the java VM command line to bypass
> this. An example follows:
>
> $JAVA_PATH/java -Dhttp.proxyHost=??????? -Dhttp.proxyPort=??? $OPTIONS
> -cp $JARS $MAIN_CLASS $1
>
> Also check that the connection to www.normeinrete.it is in fact
> established (In Linux run netstat).
I am using this urn, but the ontology is on local files. I have made
reference to the website only because I found there the urn.

>> If I create a new owl project from scratch with Protege, with this
>> uri, one class and one instance, I save it
>
> Did you download and make a import redirect for the
> urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196? Is this listed in
> one of the project files that <project-name>.repository? Is it the
> file P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl?
No, all the ontology files were compiled from scartch with Protege. The
ontoloy with this uri is P:\kb\l196\articolato-l196.owl, it is imported
by the ontology that you mentioned, but I used relative folder
repositories, I was expecting not to find absolute paths around.

Massimo Coletti wrote:

> Thanks, Hugo,
>
> Hugo Ferreira ha scritto:
>
>> Hi Massimo,
>>
>> Massimo Coletti wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I have tried also to install build 318, the problem is still there.
>>>
>>> It seems not linked to the import mechanism, but come when I use as
>>> the Ontology URI the following urn:
>>> urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196
>>>

>> This seems to be in accordance with my experience. The import
>> mechanism seems to have problems. A have a similar problem.
>>
>>> This urn is defined in the website www.normeinrete.it of Italian
>>> Government, where all the italian laws are published, and identified
>>> using a standard urn schema.
>>>

>> If you are behind a proxy then use the java VM command line to bypass
>> this. An example follows:
>>
>> $JAVA_PATH/java -Dhttp.proxyHost=??????? -Dhttp.proxyPort=??? $OPTIONS
>> -cp $JARS $MAIN_CLASS $1
>>
>> Also check that the connection to www.normeinrete.it is in fact
>> established (In Linux run netstat).
>
> I am using this urn, but the ontology is on local files. I have made
> reference to the website only because I found there the urn.

Ok.

>>> If I create a new owl project from scratch with Protege, with this
>>> uri, one class and one instance, I save it
>>

>> Did you download and make a import redirect for the
>> urn:nir:stato:decreto.legislativo:2003-06-30;196? Is this listed in
>> one of the project files that <project-name>.repository? Is it the
>> file P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl?
>
> No, all the ontology files were compiled from scartch with Protege. The
> ontoloy with this uri is P:\kb\l196\articolato-l196.owl, it is imported
> by the ontology that you mentioned, but I used relative folder
> repositories, I was expecting not to find absolute paths around.

I have found that even if you import from the net you have to set a full
path. In my opinion this should be a relative path because of the simple
fact that I have to share the ontology with other colleagues and I
cannot do this with complete paths.

>>> and then reload, now I get a "Project Load Error" window, with the
>>> same Null Pointer Exception. No import is involved.

In my experiments (see mail entitled Build 318: add connection failure
info) I have noticed that Protege seems to try and load files even when
I supposedly do not import them.

Look at your output:
[ProtegeOWLParser] Importing
http://www.mcoletti.net/norm-reference-ontology (fr
om P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl)
[ProtegeOWLParser] Completed triple loading after 171 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed lists after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed anonymous classes after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed deprecated classes after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed properties after 0 ms
[TripleChangePostProcessor] Completed named classes after 16 ms
INFO: Project load time for file:/P:/kb/l196/articolato-l196.pprj: 6 sec
WARNING: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.imports.ImportsPanel.<in

See how Protege imports your local file:

"P:\kb\l196\conceptNorm_foundation.owl" that has been mapped from
"http://www.mcoletti.net/norm-reference-ontology"

Notice also that the project as a whole seems to be correctly loaded
because it says:
"INFO: Project load time for file:/P:/kb/l196/articolato-l196.pprj: 6 sec"

The weird problem seems to appear after and it is import related:
WARNING: java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
edu.stanford.smi.protegex.owl.ui.metadatatab.imports.ImportsPanel.<in

so... first try and identify what is the file Protege is attempting t
load and why it fails.

Also, look at your file called /P:/kb/l196/articolato-l196.repository.
What does it contain inside?

>>> Looking at RFC23296 this syntax seems correct.
>>>

>> My checks on OWL and RDf validity don't show an error. I think this is
>> protege related only.
>>
>> Can you show me the start of the OWL file?
>>
>> HF.
>>
>> The file conceptNorm_foundation.owl imports the others. Anyhow, also
>> if I create a new project with a single owl file using that urn as the
>> ontology uri, I have the same problem reloading the project. A strange
>> behavior happens when you import the urn-based owl file into another
>> project: Protege identifies two different namespaces (when I am
>> expecting one), the first with the urn and a trailing "sharp" #; the
>> second with the urn and a trailing colon.

Haaaa, this seems familiar! See the email entitled "Re: Build 318
problem: import related exception". To solve my problem I had to remove
3 lines that referenced other URIs. Two of those pointed to the current
ontology file and another was related to SPARQL. Maybe you can also
solve this by removing these type of lines.

HTHs,
Hugo Ferreira.

>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Massimo

Re: [POSSIBLE VIRUS:###] Error in metadata pane after reloading an OWL project

Nick Drummond
Hi Guys,

As far as I know Protege-OWL has never been able to handle URNs.
There is a bug in the bugtracker [1] about this.
There are also a few other issues about SWRL imports always accessing
the web that will be resolved shortly - if you spot any others please
let me know.

Nick

[1] http://www.co-ode.org/mantis/view.php?id=211