PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Iaroslaw KARDASH
Dear Protegeans,

I want to join to Protégé members to develop expert systems. I tried to do it several years ago and didn't get desirable result.

Now I would like to use Protégé and it possibility to use problem-solving methods via PSM Librarian. Do newer versions of the Protege, namely, 4/5.x.x have such a tool or psm-capabilities moved to OWL-reasoner or other reasoners?

Thanks.

Kind respects,
Iaroslaw

Re: PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Tania Tudorache

Hi Iaroslaw,

No, the PSM library is an older project that works with prior versions of Protege. Unfortunately it has never been migrated to the newer versions of Protege.

Tania

Re: PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Ling
Hi, Tania and all:

I am also evaluating the possibility of using Protégé to develop expert system, not only ontology. Is it possible and what plugins or other tools need to be integrated with Protégé to achieve this? Is there any known use case by Protégé for this purpose?

Thank you.
Ling

On Feb 5, 2017 11:26 AM, "Tania Tudorache" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Iaroslaw,

No, the PSM library is an older project that works with prior versions of Protege. Unfortunately it has never been migrated to the newer versions of Protege.

Tania

Re: PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Julian Vincent-3
Hi!
I’ve been developing a sort of expert system. It’s can provide a range of design solutions to problems expressed as trade-offs. It’s based on a Russian system called TRIZ, and I’ve developed it to provide a bridge between biology and engineering. It needs to have information plugged into it, of course, and this is the difficult bit since there is no automatic way to analyse the research papers which hold the information. We are working on it . . . I’m hoping to get the ontology into the OBO-Forge community, and have based it on the BFO with that in mind.

Julian Vincent

On 5 Feb 2017, at 20:13, Ling <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi, Tania and all:

I am also evaluating the possibility of using Protégé to develop expert system, not only ontology. Is it possible and what plugins or other tools need to be integrated with Protégé to achieve this? Is there any known use case by Protégé for this purpose?

Thank you.
Ling

On Feb 5, 2017 11:26 AM, "Tania Tudorache" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Iaroslaw,

No, the PSM library is an older project that works with prior versions of Protege. Unfortunately it has never been migrated to the newer versions of Protege.

Tania

Re: PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Ling
Hi, Julian:

Good to know TRIZ. I wanted to know what's the best way to develop Expert System in Protege, and not sure whether it's possible.

Thank you for sharing.
Ling

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 12:20 PM, Julian Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dear Tania,

Thank You for Your fast respond.

Please, tell me, if you know, what means I should use to develop a reasoning component of ES. I'd used CommonKADS methodology to conceptually develop my version of ES for the problem of dental alloy biocompatibility. I even developed problem-solving method using CML notation.

Could you tell me how I can incorporate PSMs in later version of  Protégé. Should I use some contemporary reasoners for it.

Would be grateful for you answer.

Hope to hear from you soon.

With kind respect,
Iaroslaw

Hi Iaroslaw,

No, the PSM library is an older project that works with prior versions of Protege. Unfortunately it has never been migrated to the newer versions of Protege.

Tania

Re: PSM Librarian for Protege 4/5.x.x

Tania Tudorache

I haven't looked at CommonKADS in a long time. If you would like to implement a reasoning component for your expert system, you would have to choose the type of reasoning that suits your task. You need to consider if a DL reasoner (like the ones integrated in Protege) would be useful, or if you need a different type of reasoning (e.g., constraint solvers, etc.).

Also, Protege 5 does not have the forms acquisition interface as Protege 3.x did, so it is not ideal if you need to edit a lot of instances.

If you operate with OWL ontologies, you can consider using the OWL API to access the ontology and content in your expert system, and even develop your own UI on top of it.

Good luck,

Tania