Plugin document could not be loaded

Wynne, Robert (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]

Hi all,

When I start Protégé 5 today, the following message is written to console

        Checking http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties

            The plugin document could not be loaded due to a network error: ConnectException, Connection timed out: connect

            Processing http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties as a plugin registry

                Cannot read plugin registry at http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties.  Reason: Connection timed out: connect

I cannot ping semanticweb.org, so not sure if this affects others.

Does Protégé allow developers to add failover (i.e., direct to another maven location) in this case?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Plugin document could not be loaded

Lorenz B.
Hello,

that does only affect the auto-update of plugins on startup, doesn't it? And yes, it doesn't work at the moment, I guess the server has just some issues.

You could disable it in Preferences -> Plugins

You can also set an alternative plugin location in the tab. So, you could point to a local plugin registry file on your disk and adapt the path to the ELK  plugin. The only restriction is that it has to be a link to a file called update.properties, see [1]

Indeed, you can always update the plugins manually, so I'd just disable it.

[1] https://raw.githubusercontent.com/protegeproject/autoupdate/master/update-info/5.0.0/plugins.repository

Hi all,

When I start Protégé 5 today, the following message is written to console

        Checking http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties

            The plugin document could not be loaded due to a network error: ConnectException, Connection timed out: connect

            Processing http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties as a plugin registry

                Cannot read plugin registry at http://elk.semanticweb.org/maven/latest/elk-distribution/resources/p5.update.properties.  Reason: Connection timed out: connect

I cannot ping semanticweb.org, so not sure if this affects others.

Does Protégé allow developers to add failover (i.e., direct to another maven location) in this case?

Thanks,

Rob

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Plugin document could not be loaded

Wynne, Robert (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]

Yes, only affects auto-update.  One of the best features for any user unfamiliar with dependency files.

Thank you for linking this file; I’ve never taken a really good look at it.

If I change my plugins.repository to a local file (below) it updates my registry with the new location in:

(Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/P/R/O/T/E/G/E_/P/R/E/F/E/R/E/N/C/E/S\application_preferences\org.protege.editor.core.update./Plugin/Manager)

Protégé starts, though since it finished updating for the day (registry key last.run, also in the same location) I force the update.  This returns a stacktrace[2] for a valid URI.

I think Protégé could support mirrors[1] without conflicting ids or versions.  The only doubt is the default plugins.repository under the protegeproject github master has one URL for each (available) plugin.

// DL Query

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/protegeproject/dlquery/master/update-info/protege-5/update.properties

https://mirror-gitlabdomain.com/protegeproject/dlquery/master/update-info/protege-5/update.properties

// Cellfie

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/protegeproject/cellfie-plugin/master/update-info/protege-5/update.properties

https://mirror-ec2-203-0-113-25.compute-1.amazonaws.com/protegeproject/cellfie-plugin/master/update-info/protege-5/update.properties

// FaCT++

https://bitbucket.org/dtsarkov/factplusplus/downloads/config.autoupdate.Protege-5.0.txt

// Pellet

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Complexible/pellet/master/protege/plugin/plugins.repository

https://mirror-waiheke.co.nz/protegeproject/Complexible/pellet/master/protege/plugin/plugins.repository

// ODASE

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/onor13/odase.protege.plugins.repository/master/odase.plugins.repository

// NJIT SABOC Ontology Abstraction Framework (OAF)

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/NJITSABOC/oaf-protege/OAFSummarizationPlugin/update-info/protege-5/update.properties

[1] https://github.com/protegeproject/protege/blob/387e1e843c511efe325ff35217e42be692761eb5/protege-editor-core/src/main/java/org/protege/editor/core/update/PluginRegistryImpl.java#L122

(just noticed a ‘.repository’ extension check)

[2] Plugin registry at: file:/C:/temp/plugins.repository

Uncaught Exception in thread 'AWT-EventQueue-0'

java.lang.ClassCastException: sun.net.www.protocol.file.FileURLConnection cannot be cast to java.net.HttpURLConnection

        at org.protege.editor.core.update.PluginManager.ensureConnectionToPluginRegistry(PluginManager.java:112) ~[na:na]

        at org.protege.editor.core.update.PluginManager.runCheckForPlugins(PluginManager.java:106) ~[na:na]

        at org.protege.editor.core.ui.action.CheckPluginsAction.actionPerformed(CheckPluginsAction.java:29) ~[na:na]

        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022) ~[na:1.8.0_40]

        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2346) ~[na:1.8.0_40]

        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402) ~[na:1.8.0_40]