Portable Protégé

Fricke Jenny

Hello,

is there any portable version of protégé available online?

Since I do not have admin rights on my machine it is not possible
for me to run the common *.exe.

Thank you in advance

Kind regards
Jenny Fricke

Re: Portable Protégé

Michael DeBellis-2
First, at least IMO you should talk to the IT department at your university or company. It's ridiculous that you can't run downloaded software like Protege. If you are doing computer science research you aren't going to get very far with those kinds of restrictions because there are so many great freeware tools that you also won't be able to download and run in addition to Protege such as the Eclipse IDE. I don't know that much about the admin side of things, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Protege requires any kind of additional authorization beyond what any other downloaded piece of software would.

You might want to double check your own security settings, especially if you are on a Mac. I do most of my technical work on Windows these days but when I was still using my Mac for Protege, I noticed the Apple OS was getting more and more restrictive so if you wanted to download software that didn't come from the Apple App store you had to go into your security settings and change them, the default setting was only applications from the App store could run and at least once I remember the changes I made were over-written when I installed a new version of the OS and I had to redo them.

But in the mean time you can at least use the WebProtege version. That's a completely hosted service at Stanford so it's just like any other web site:   https://webprotege.stanford.edu/  Just create an account. This will significantly limit how much benefit you can get from Protege however. As of this time there are things that only the downloaded desktop version of Protege can do, most importantly the WebProtege version can't currently run any reasoners and reasoners are what makes  Protege really powerful as opposed to being just a good modeling environment.

Web Protege is great when you have a team that wants to collaborate on an ontology or when you have an ontology that you want to share with people but to really understand what can be done with OWL, SWRL, etc. you need a reasoner which at this point means you need the desktop version.

Michael