PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Füzi, Peter
Dear Community,

I need to import external data into my ontology. Looking around, I found Datamaster plugin, which would support data import from Excel.

Can you help me please with your practice? Is it fine to start with Datamaster, or there is another solution that should be preferred for any reason?

Thank you w regards,
Peter Füzi

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Füzi, Peter
Hi,
apology if my question left room for uncertainty.

I need your help, whether plugin Datamaster -according to your experience- is a properly functioning tool for data import (Frame ontology target), or there is some other plugin or function which can be used more effectively for this purpose.

Thanks for your hints in advance. Regards,
Peter Füzi

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

samsontu
Yes, Datamaster is a good way to import data.

With best regards,
Samson

On Mar 11, 2014, at 1:12 PM, Füzi, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
apology if my question left room for uncertainty.

I need your help, whether plugin Datamaster -according to your experience- is a properly functioning tool for data import (Frame ontology target), or there is some other plugin or function which can be used more effectively for this purpose.

Thanks for your hints in advance. Regards,
Peter Füzi

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Füzi, Peter
Thank you, Samson. Then I choose that.
Peter

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Füzi, Peter
... My first trial-runs to import from Excel with Datamaster are succeed.
Some experience noted for new users, see please below.
Thank you, Samson.
Regards, Péter

Notes:
  1. Datamaster wiki documentation contains two relevant document links ("... functionality of the DataMaster plug-in is available in the abstract for the presentation about DataMaster at the 10th International Protege Conference ... "). Both of them is missing
  2. Wiki page for Excel driver (http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/XlSQL-Y8#Instructions_for_using_the_xlSQL-Y8_driver_with_DataMaster) indicates 'in edition' status. Still the explanation for the installation process is complete, it can be used in compliance with the purpose of the driver
  3. The very first step in using the driver is identification of the source data. If that is located on the PC hard disk folder, the user have to specify the folder name, NOT the filename!
  4. ... consequently: if this folder contains more Excel files, all of them will be found by the driver when [Connect] to that!
  5. For non-English language users: the driver ACCEPT Excel files containing local language characters in the filename, while
  6. ... IGNORES all sheets within the file, which contain any single local (non-English) character in the first row of that sheet. The first row is expectably always the column name, it will be transformed to slot name in the ontology. So after my first trials, the import seems working for column names composed of English alphabet characters
  7. local characters within the captured data stream are transferred correctly, so the import preserves integrity of the input
Meeting this experience, for a non-English user it seems wise to avoid use of local language characters in column-, sheet- and filenames to cope with the import. If it is of help, I contribute w testing the driver in a local language environment, and sharing my experience with the developers or with the community.
Thanks with regards,
Péter

Feladó: "Peter Füzi" <[hidden email]>
Címzett: "User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop" <[hidden email]>
Elküldött üzenetek: Szerda, 2014 Március 12 6:46:27

Thank you, Samson. Then I choose that.
Peter

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
On 3/12/2014 11:34 PM, Füzi, Peter wrote:
Datamaster wiki documentation contains two relevant document links ("... functionality of the DataMaster plug-in is available in the abstract for the presentation about DataMaster at the 10th International Protege Conference ... "). Both of them is missing

These broken links are fixed now.

Jennifer

Re: PrF Win - Import w Datamaster?

Füzi, Peter
Thank you, Jennifer.
Now I can find both of them.
As a next step I go on with reading the presentation.
Peter