Problem with Generating HTML from Protege

Problem with Generating HTML from Protege

Alex Amies
I am trying to generate HTML from this OWL file using Protege but it gives me an exception.  I created the owl file with Protege in the first place and I haven't used any <>& illegal XML characters.  The file is attached and also at URL

http://www.medicalcomputing.net/owl/physiology.owl

The exception is

Starting Wizards v1.0 beta build 05 ...
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.ClassCastException
        at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.export.html.HTMLExport.export(Unknown Sourc
e)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protegex.export.html.HTMLExportPlugin.handleExportRe
quest(Unknown Source)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.exportProjectRequest(Unkno
wn Source)
        at edu.stanford.smi.protege.action.ExportPluginAction.actionPerformed(Un
known Source)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:18
15)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Abstra
ctButton.java:1868)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed (DefaultButtonModel
.java:449)
        at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:287
)
        at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:318)
        at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick (BasicMenuItemUI.java:1

physiology.owl (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Generating HTML from Protege

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Alex,

The File -> Export to Format -> HTML functionality was developed
specifically for Protege-Frames ontologies and does not work with OWL.
Admittedly, this menu item should be disabled in Protege-OWL.
Alternatively, please use OWLDoc:

http://www.co-ode.org/downloads/owldoc/co-ode-index.php

Jennifer

Alex Amies wrote:

> I am trying to generate HTML from this OWL file using Protege but it
> gives me an exception.  I created the owl file with Protege in the
> first place and I haven't used any <>& illegal XML characters.  The
> file is attached and also at URL
>
> http://www.medicalcomputing.net/owl/physiology.owl
>
> The exception is
>
> Starting Wizards v1.0 beta build 05 ...
> java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.ClassCastException
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.export.html.HTMLExport.export(Unknown Sourc
> e)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protegex.export.html.HTMLExportPlugin.handleExportRe
> quest(Unknown Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protege.ui.ProjectManager.exportProjectRequest(Unkno
> wn Source)
>         at
> edu.stanford.smi.protege.action.ExportPluginAction.actionPerformed(Un
> known Source)
>         at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:18
> 15)
>         at
> javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Abstra
> ctButton.java:1868)
>         at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed
> (DefaultButtonModel
> .java:449)
>         at
> javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:287
> )
>         at javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:318)
>         at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick
> (BasicMenuItemUI.java:1

Re: Problem with Generating HTML from Protege

Alex Amies
Jennifer,

Thanks for the pointer.  I found that OWLDoc is actually included in the Protege tool under Tools | Generate OWLDoc.  It works OK with a couple of small glitches.  The individuals in the generated HTML do not have the comments that are included in the OWL file.  However, I guess that is a plug-in and not part of the core.

By the way, this is the first time I have used Protege and I am very impressed with it.  I think that it is the best Eclipse based product I have worked with.  Usability is excellent.

Thanks again,

Alex