Problems with OWLViz

Martin Böschen
Hello,
I keep getting the error described here
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLViz#Troubleshooting, even if I
installed Graphviz, and told Protege the right path. A colleague of mine
gets the saame error, having installed everything independently of me.
Can anyone confirm the error or has an idea what else to try?

I'm using Graphviz 2.32, Protege 4.3.0, OWLViz 4.1.2 and Windows 7.

Regards,
Martin

Martin Böschen, Dipl. Mathematiker
Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter

OFFIS
FuE Bereich Verkehr | R&D Division Transportation
Escherweg 2 - 26121 Oldenburg - Germany
Phone: +49 441 9722-484
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Problems with OWLViz

Jennifer Vendetti
Administrator
Hello Martin,

I'm working on the same platform with all of the same versions.  It looks like the Graphviz installer does not add the "dot" executable to your PATH variable.  So, even though you installed Graphviz and told Protege where it's located, when Protege tries to launch the dot process it fails because the the PATH variable has no information about the location of dot.

You can fix this by editing the PATH variable for your user account to include the path to the directory where the dot application is located, e.g.:

Once, you've done this, you can check to make sure that dot is on your PATH by typing "dot -V" on the command line:

Once I added this information to my PATH variable, I'm able to work with OWLViz successfully in Protege:

Best,
Jennifer

On 8/21/2013 12:28 AM, Martin Böschen wrote:
Hello,
I keep getting the error described here http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/OWLViz#Troubleshooting, even if I installed Graphviz, and told Protege the right path. A colleague of mine gets the saame error, having installed everything independently of me.  Can anyone confirm the error or has an idea what else to try?

I'm using Graphviz 2.32, Protege 4.3.0, OWLViz 4.1.2 and Windows 7.

Regards,
Martin

Re: Problems with OWLViz

Mohab Hassan
Hello everyone!

Jennifer:
I tried with the guidelines given to solve Graphviz "and the dot" issues, but unfortunately, it did not work fully right.

Look at these snapshots, please!

Inline image 1

So it is okay for the dot - graphviz, but for the protege itself:

Inline image 2

The same error still exists...

Should I put the protege, other plugins and extensions at the same directory and/or folder so that they can see each other?! - or it does not matter where exactly each part is!.
Is it possible to define the Path of the dot within the Protege itself too?! if so, from where we can do that?!

I'm using Graphviz 2.32, Protege 4.3.0, OWLViz 4.1.2 and Windows 7.

Thanks,

Best,
Mohab

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM, Jennifer Vendetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jennifer,
thank you very much for your answer, but even if your explanation seems very promising, it still doesn't work out for me. Same for me as for Mohab. I have dot in my path, and also point to dot via protege's prefrences...

Best,
Martin

Am 28.08.2013 17:08, schrieb Mohab Hassan:
[...]

Hello Mohab,

On 8/28/2013 5:08 PM, Mohab Hassan wrote:
... but for the protege itself:

Inline image 2

The same error still exists...

Should I put the protege, other plugins and extensions at the same directory and/or folder so that they can see each other?!

No.

Is it possible to define the Path of the dot within the Protege itself too?! if so, from where we can do that?!

Yes, you need to indicate the location of dot in Protege's preferences.  In Protege, choose File | Preferences... and navigate to the OWLViz tab in the Preferences dialog.  In the "Dot Application Path" text box, use the Browse button to enter the path to the dot executable, e.g.:

I assumed you had already performed this step.  Please ensure that the value in this text box matches the exact physical location on your machine of the dot executable that's on your system path.  From the screenshots you provided previously, Graphviz 2.32 is on your system path.

Jennifer

Re: Problems with OWLViz

Mohab Hassan
Greetings Jennifer,

Yeah, after following the guidelines... fortunately, it worked "thanks a lot",

But here comes another issue if you do not mind... it is related to the "Reasoner".

I tried the Pizza example and the reasoner is working properly,
Inline image 1

but for my ontology - it gives an error message that I cannot deal with. Any advice from your side to let it work properly?!...
Inline image 2

Last thing, regarding the XML file... I tried the "pizza" example and what it shows is "only":
Inline image 3
should the xml file be read by any interpreter or editor so I can get the whole tags and formats, rather than using explorers?!

Appreciated.
Mohab.