Properties: noun vs verb

Laura Morales
Is there any informal convention to follow with regard to RDF predicates, about using nouns or verbs? For example:

Alice -> knows -> Bob
          vs
Alice -> friend -> Bob

is there a preference for using verbs over nouns?

Re: Properties: noun vs verb

samsontu

On Sep 30, 2019, at 10:36 PM, Laura Morales <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is there any informal convention to follow with regard to RDF predicates, about using nouns or verbs? For example:

Alice -> knows -> Bob
         vs
Alice -> friend -> Bob

is there a preference for using verbs over nouns?

Yes, the recommended best practice ( e.g., [1]) is to use verbs such as regulates, hasComponent isComponentOf, isTallerThan, etc. In your example, “knows" and “hasFriend" would be equally acceptable. (They convey somewhat different meanings though: many people I know are not my friends.)

With best regards,
Samson

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment