Property chains

Michael DeBellis-2
I'm trying to use the Prov ontology and there are some property chains that I can't figure out even after reading the OWL documentation on chains. I think the idea is that they are implementing ternary relations using an intermediate class (which they call qualification). So far so good, that part makes sense to me.

But they have a bunch of properties with sub-properties and most of the sub-properties have "SuperProperty of (Chain)" values and I'm not sure what these are doing.

So for example the property wasInfluencedBy has a sub-property called wasAssociatedWith which has a  "SuperProperty of (Chain)" = "qualifiedAssociation o agent"  That string is what shows up if I go to edit the SuperProperty chain but in the display it looks like this:

 "SuperProperty of (Chain)
qualifiedAssociation o agent SubPropertyOf: wasAssociatedWith"

Also: agent and qualifiedAssociation are also properties.

I've never used property chains, I always found SWRL rules could do the same things and were more intuitive to me. Can someone shed some light on what this chain is doing? I realize the Prov domain isn't in the scope of the list but I could just use some help understanding how chains work.

Also, if anyone knows of any email lists or groups devoted to Prov users/support please let me know. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Re: Property chains

Balhoff, James Patrick
qualifiedAssociation o agent SubPropertyOf: wasAssociatedWith

is (at the instance level) the same as a SWRL rule like:

?x qualifiedAssociation ?y ^ ?y agent ?z -> ?x wasAssociatedWith ?z

The property chain is a little nicer because it can also be used in class-level subsumption relationships as well.

If you have these classes:

A EquivalentTo (wasAssociatedWith some Thing)
B EquivalentTo (agent some Thing)
C EquivalentTo (qualifiedAssociation some B)

you can infer that C SubClassOf A

Best regards,
Jim

> On Mar 3, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to use the Prov ontology and there are some property chains that I can't figure out even after reading the OWL documentation on chains. I think the idea is that they are implementing ternary relations using an intermediate class (which they call qualification). So far so good, that part makes sense to me.
>
> But they have a bunch of properties with sub-properties and most of the sub-properties have "SuperProperty of (Chain)" values and I'm not sure what these are doing.
>
> So for example the property wasInfluencedBy has a sub-property called wasAssociatedWith which has a  "SuperProperty of (Chain)" = "qualifiedAssociation o agent"  That string is what shows up if I go to edit the SuperProperty chain but in the display it looks like this:
>
>  "SuperProperty of (Chain)
> qualifiedAssociation o agent SubPropertyOf: wasAssociatedWith"
>
> Also: agent and qualifiedAssociation are also properties.
>
> I've never used property chains, I always found SWRL rules could do the same things and were more intuitive to me. Can someone shed some light on what this chain is doing? I realize the Prov domain isn't in the scope of the list but I could just use some help understanding how chains work.
>
> Also, if anyone knows of any email lists or groups devoted to Prov users/support please let me know. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Re: Property chains

Igor Toujilov-2
Yes, but take care if you plan to use cardinality restrictions, which do not work on property chains.

Cheers,
Igor

> Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2020 at 8:47 PM
> From: "Balhoff, Jim" <[hidden email]>
> To: "User support for WebProtege and Protege Desktop" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [protege-user] Property chains
>
> qualifiedAssociation o agent SubPropertyOf: wasAssociatedWith
>
> is (at the instance level) the same as a SWRL rule like:
>
> ?x qualifiedAssociation ?y ^ ?y agent ?z -> ?x wasAssociatedWith ?z
>
> The property chain is a little nicer because it can also be used in class-level subsumption relationships as well.
>
> If you have these classes:
>
> A EquivalentTo (wasAssociatedWith some Thing)
> B EquivalentTo (agent some Thing)
> C EquivalentTo (qualifiedAssociation some B)
>
> you can infer that C SubClassOf A
>
> Best regards,
> Jim
>
> > On Mar 3, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Michael DeBellis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to use the Prov ontology and there are some property chains that I can't figure out even after reading the OWL documentation on chains. I think the idea is that they are implementing ternary relations using an intermediate class (which they call qualification). So far so good, that part makes sense to me.
> >
> > But they have a bunch of properties with sub-properties and most of the sub-properties have "SuperProperty of (Chain)" values and I'm not sure what these are doing.
> >
> > So for example the property wasInfluencedBy has a sub-property called wasAssociatedWith which has a  "SuperProperty of (Chain)" = "qualifiedAssociation o agent"  That string is what shows up if I go to edit the SuperProperty chain but in the display it looks like this:
> >
> >  "SuperProperty of (Chain)
> > qualifiedAssociation o agent SubPropertyOf: wasAssociatedWith"
> >
> > Also: agent and qualifiedAssociation are also properties.
> >
> > I've never used property chains, I always found SWRL rules could do the same things and were more intuitive to me. Can someone shed some light on what this chain is doing? I realize the Prov domain isn't in the scope of the list but I could just use some help understanding how chains work.
> >
> > Also, if anyone knows of any email lists or groups devoted to Prov users/support please let me know. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Re: Property chains

I get it. Thanks for putting it in SWRL terms!