Change and Bug Fixes in Core Protege
- Fixed a memory leak in the database mode.
- Removed dependencies on the "looks.jar" file. Applications that only
use the Protégé APIs no longer need to include looks.jar on the classpath.
- The default column types for MySQL in the database backend are now
VARCHAR(500) with UTF-8-BIN collation. This means that the database
backend will work with entity names longer than 255 characters and
several problems have been solved related to ontologies that have two
entities with identical names - one capitalized and one with small letters.
- In the Queries tab, the export functionality now quotes values if
delimiters are used in slot values.
- Various fixes for events in the client-server mode.
- Added utility methods for managing projects on the Protege server.
- Fixed a problem with the Frames HTML export functionality related to
the export configuration file not being found.
Changes & Bug Fixes in Protege-OWL
- The SWRLTab has been updated to be compatible with Jess version 7.1p1.
Compatibility with Jess version 7.0p2 has been maintained.
- Fixed a bug in SWRL's rule group handling.
- Implemented some memory and performance improvements in the
- Fixed an owl:Enumeration parsing problem.
- Added a "merging imports" mode to the Protege-OWL parser that can be
invoked programmatically (default is off), which means that all imports
will be merged into one ontology. This feature can be used (if desired)
when converting a file-based OWL model to the database backend. In this
mode, all imports will be part of the same database table. This is also
the way imports used to work prior to build 500 in the 3.4 beta series.
- Several fixes for the Protege-OWL code generator. The generated
getXYZ(String name) methods in the factory will return null if the name
of the individual passed as the argument does not have the right
- Several fixes for the PropertiesTab, namely that when users create
inverse properties, domain and range information is not inverted as well.
- Added an addRepository() method in the OwlProjectFromUriCreator, which
can be set prior to parsing.
Changes in Bundled Plug-ins
- The Jambalaya visualization plug-in has been updated to version 2.7.0,
which has many new features and improvements. Searching has never been
easier with a new quick search toolbar at the top of the view to help
users find classes and instances. Jambalaya also now supports a document
management system which lets the user associate documents or URLs with
individual nodes. As a result, if there are any files, images, websites
etc., that are related to a class or instance, the user can quickly
preview those documents embedded right inside Jambalaya. Other new
features include more support for custom node shapes, colors, borders,
and images. Visit the Jambalaya website for a full list of all the new
features  and to peruse the user manual .
- Bundled an updated version of the Protege Script Console (build 0.32),
which is a tab that provides a scripting environment within Protégé for
manipulating an ontology .
As always, a web-based version of the release notes is available on our