Protege 4.0 alpha

tpodsiadly

Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
regards teresa

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

Matthew Horridge

> Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
> regards teresa

No and no.

The OWL API has syntactic support for SWRL, but there is currently no
GUI for editing rules.  In addition to this, Pellet supports DL-Safe
rules, so if there was a GUI, you could use DL-Safe rules.

There's no SPARQL support.  I would have thought that when SPARQL-DL
becomes more mature (and therefore there's a principled way of
answering SPARQL queries for OWL ontologies) then it might be supported.

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

Martin O'Connor

I will be porting the SWRLTab to Protege 4 in the next few months with
the aim of providing all the functionality of the current Protege 3.3
release - and hopefully better integration with reasoners such as
Pellet. Pellet only supports a subset of SWRL at the moment, but
fortunately there are plans for more extensive support.

Martin

Matthew Horridge wrote:

>>Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
>>regards teresa
>>

>No and no.
>
>The OWL API has syntactic support for SWRL, but there is currently no
>GUI for editing rules.  In addition to this, Pellet supports DL-Safe
>rules, so if there was a GUI, you could use DL-Safe rules.
>
>There's no SPARQL support.  I would have thought that when SPARQL-DL
>becomes more mature (and therefore there's a principled way of
>answering SPARQL queries for OWL ontologies) then it might be supported.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Matthew

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

JMiller

I haven't used Protege 4.0 yet; how are queries performed, if SWRL and SPARQL are not supported?

Jim Miller

Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

07/05/2007 11:45 AM

Please respond to
User support for the Protege-OWL editor        <[hidden email]>

User support for the Protege-OWL editor <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
Re: [protege-owl] Protege 4.0 alpha

> Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
> regards teresa

No and no.

The OWL API has syntactic support for SWRL, but there is currently no
GUI for editing rules.  In addition to this, Pellet supports DL-Safe
rules, so if there was a GUI, you could use DL-Safe rules.

There's no SPARQL support.  I would have thought that when SPARQL-DL
becomes more mature (and therefore there's a principled way of
answering SPARQL queries for OWL ontologies) then it might be supported.

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

Matthew Horridge

> I haven't used Protege 4.0 yet; how are queries performed, if SWRL
> and SPARQL are not supported?

You can ask the standard DL queries (through the DL query view or
tab), like "give me the instances of this class description", "give
me the subclasses of this class description" etc. note that the
description you supply need not be a named class.  For example in the
pizza ontology, you could ask the query "give me all pizzas that have
a mozzarella topping or a pepperoni topping".  The results for these
queries are sound and complete - i.e. you get the correct results,
and you get *all* the results. (With SPARQL there's no guarantee of
this - it depends on the implementation).

Out of interest, what kinds of queries do you want to ask?

> Jim Miller
>

> Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]>
> Sent by: [hidden email]
> 07/05/2007 11:45 AM
> Please respond to
> User support for the Protege-OWL editor        <protege-
> [hidden email]>

> User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-
> [hidden email]>
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [protege-owl] Protege 4.0 alpha
>

> > Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
> > regards teresa
>
> No and no.
>
> The OWL API has syntactic support for SWRL, but there is currently no
> GUI for editing rules.  In addition to this, Pellet supports DL-Safe
> rules, so if there was a GUI, you could use DL-Safe rules.
>
> There's no SPARQL support.  I would have thought that when SPARQL-DL
> becomes more mature (and therefore there's a principled way of
> answering SPARQL queries for OWL ontologies) then it might be
> supported.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

> faq.html#01a.03

> faq.html#01a.03

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

JMiller

I thought SPARQL was the way to go, but some of the recent messages (from Martin and others) have led me away from SPARQL, into SWRL queries.  I wasn't aware of other types--can you give a reference to a paper(s) on the standard DL queries, and their syntax?  Or will Protege 4.0 guide a DL query newbie through the process?

Jim

Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]>
Sent by: [hidden email]

07/05/2007 01:50 PM

Please respond to
User support for the Protege-OWL editor        <[hidden email]>

User support for the Protege-OWL editor <[hidden email]>
cc
Subject
Re: [protege-owl] Protege 4.0 alpha

> I haven't used Protege 4.0 yet; how are queries performed, if SWRL
> and SPARQL are not supported?

You can ask the standard DL queries (through the DL query view or
tab), like "give me the instances of this class description", "give
me the subclasses of this class description" etc. note that the
description you supply need not be a named class.  For example in the
pizza ontology, you could ask the query "give me all pizzas that have
a mozzarella topping or a pepperoni topping".  The results for these
queries are sound and complete - i.e. you get the correct results,
and you get *all* the results. (With SPARQL there's no guarantee of
this - it depends on the implementation).

Out of interest, what kinds of queries do you want to ask?

> Jim Miller
>

> Matthew Horridge <[hidden email]>
> Sent by: [hidden email]
> 07/05/2007 11:45 AM
> Please respond to
> User support for the Protege-OWL editor        <protege-
> [hidden email]>

> User support for the Protege-OWL editor <protege-
> [hidden email]>
> cc
> Subject
> Re: [protege-owl] Protege 4.0 alpha
>

> > Are SWRL and SPARQL supported in Protge 4.0 alpha ?
> > regards teresa
>
> No and no.
>
> The OWL API has syntactic support for SWRL, but there is currently no
> GUI for editing rules.  In addition to this, Pellet supports DL-Safe
> rules, so if there was a GUI, you could use DL-Safe rules.
>
> There's no SPARQL support.  I would have thought that when SPARQL-DL
> becomes more mature (and therefore there's a principled way of
> answering SPARQL queries for OWL ontologies) then it might be
> supported.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matthew

> faq.html#01a.03

> faq.html#01a.03

Re: Protege 4.0 alpha

Matthew Horridge
Hi Jim,

> I thought SPARQL was the way to go, but some of the recent messages
> (from Martin and others) have led me away from SPARQL, into SWRL
> queries.

It's important to divorce the issue of the syntax you use for writing
the query, whether it's a SPARQL syntax, Protege-OWL SWRL syntax or
whatever, from the semantics of the query and how the query is
answered.  Taking Pellet's conjuctive query answering as an
example.... this allows you to perform ABox queries (see http://
pellet.owldl.com/features/#cqa for more details) with distinguished
and non-distinguished variables.  Pellet supports a SPARQL syntax for
writing these queries, but another syntax such as the Protege-OWL
SWRL syntax, or the syntax presented in [1] could easily be used - in
any case it's important that the semantics of the query are well
defined and that the query is answered in a principled way.

>  I wasn't aware of other types--can you give a reference to a paper
> (s) on the standard DL queries, and their syntax?
>  Or will Protege 4.0 guide a DL query newbie through the process?

There are about four standard inference services that are offered by
DL reasoners:

- Ontology consistency checking
- Satisfiability testing (checking the satisfiability of classes)
- Subsumption checking (does class A subsume class B) (also
Equivalence checking (is class A equivalent to class B))
- Retrieval (give me all of the instances of class A)

(Note that all of these can be reduced to satisfiability testing)

These standard inference services provide the basic querying
capability of DL reasoners i.e.

Give me all of the subclasses of X
Give me all of the instances of X

etc. etc.

With reasoners such as Pellet, FaCT++, Racer etc. the class X in the
above queries need not be a named class - it can be composed of
anonymous class descriptions, so you can ask questions like "give me
all of the things that have two legs" by creating the class
description "hasPart exactly 2 Leg" for example and then asking the
DL reasoner for the subclasses of this class, or indeed the
individuals that are members of this class.

Hope this helps.

[1] http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~glimmbx/download/report.pdf