Protege 4.0 fails to load OWL-Time

Stephan Zednik-2
While attempting to import the OWL-Time from http://www.w3.org/2006/time

Error 1 Logged at Tue Oct 27 12:14:23 EDT 2009
RuntimeException: The ontology contained in the document located at http://www.w3.org/2006/time
  could not be imported.  The document does not appear to contain a
valid RDF/XML representationof an ontology.

org.protege.editor.owl.ui.ontology.imports.wizard.URLImportFileVerifier.checkImports
(URLImportFileVerifier.java:44)

org.protege.editor.owl.ui.ontology.imports.wizard.ImportVerificationPage.checkImport
(ImportVerificationPage.java:62)

org.protege.editor.owl.ui.ontology.imports.wizard.ImportVerificationPage
$1.run(ImportVerificationPage.java:38)
     java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

Relating concepts from different ontologies

Leyla Jael García Castro
Dear all,

I am using P4 to build an ontology O1, which reuses some concepts already defined in another ontology O2, and defines ObjectProperties between those 2 ontologies. I can use this syntax in P4
I have this:
xml:base="http://myOnto.org/O1.owl"
xmlns:o2="http://anotherOnto.org/O2.owl"
<owl:Class rdf:about="&o2;Concept"/>
<owl:Class rdf:about="#myConcept"/>
<owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#myProperty">
    <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="&o2;Concept"/>
    <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Concept"/>
</owl:ObjectProperty>

When I use Pellet, fro instance, and Concept is not defined in O2 it does not show any inconsistency. So, can I relate different ontologies by object properties in P4? Can I build this kind of ontology with Protégé 4? (I could not find the way to "add" classes already define in O2, I did on Notepad and it seems to load fine in Protégé but I am still not sure about it).

Best,

LJ

Re: Protege 4.0 fails to load OWL-Time

Timothy Redmond

This bug is fixed in the latest svn.  I am looking into getting a
build done later today.

-Timothy

On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:16 AM, Stephan Zednik wrote:

> While attempting to import the OWL-Time from http://www.w3.org/2006/time
>
> Error 1 Logged at Tue Oct 27 12:14:23 EDT 2009
> RuntimeException: The ontology contained in the document located at http://www.w3.org/2006/time
>  could not be imported.  The document does not appear to contain a
> valid RDF/XML representationof an ontology.
>
> org
> .protege
> .editor
> .owl
> .ui
> .ontology
> .imports
> .wizard
> .URLImportFileVerifier.checkImports(URLImportFileVerifier.java:44)
>
> org
> .protege
> .editor
> .owl
> .ui
> .ontology
> .imports
> .wizard
> .ImportVerificationPage.checkImport(ImportVerificationPage.java:62)
>
> org
> .protege.editor.owl.ui.ontology.imports.wizard.ImportVerificationPage
> $1.run(ImportVerificationPage.java:38)
>    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

Re: Relating concepts from different ontologies

Timothy Redmond

On Oct 27, 2009, at 9:32 AM, Leyla Jael García Castro wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am using P4 to build an ontology O1, which reuses some concepts
> already defined in another ontology O2, and defines ObjectProperties
> between those 2 ontologies. I can use this syntax in P4
> I have this:
> xml:base="http://myOnto.org/O1.owl"
> xmlns:o2="http://anotherOnto.org/O2.owl"
> <owl:Class rdf:about="&o2;Concept"/>
> <owl:Class rdf:about="#myConcept"/>
> <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="#myProperty">
>     <rdfs:domain rdf:resource="&o2;Concept"/>
>     <rdfs:range rdf:resource="#Concept"/>
> </owl:ObjectProperty>

This is all perfectly fine.  The way to think about it is that an owl
ontology is just a series of statements about things.  The technical
name for these statements is axioms.  When you talk about a thing, the
thing you are talking about is determined by its full name.  So for
example the full name of Concept is

        http://anotherOnto.org/O2.owl#Concept.

In your ontology you assert a couple of axioms about this thing - you
state that it is a class and you state that it is the domain of a
particular property.  In another ontology - perhaps  the one called http://anotherOnto.org/O2.owl
  - you may repeat some of these axioms or state yet other axioms
about this thing.  There is no problem with this.

The other class

        http://myOnto.org/O1.owl#Concept

which is the range of myProperty is a completely different class than
the class