Protege 5.2.0 First Impressions

ocratato
Hi, I have been playing around with 5.2 on my Scientific Linux 7.3
system. This was the platform independent version.

A couple of things:

I selected the Class Individuals tab and experimented a bit with
changing some of the views. I then selected the menu option "Reset
selected tab to default state" expecting to have it return to the way
it was on start-up. However it came up with no views at all. Despite
closing without saving it presented the same blank state on restart.

Entering Object Property Assertions seems to be only possible by keying
in the name of the object property and the name of the associated
individual. Surely the option of selecting from lists would be quicker,
but I cannot see a way to do that.

Thanks for providing an otherwise excellent tool - your work is much
appreciated.

Brenton

Re: Protege 5.2.0 First Impressions

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Brenton,

Thanks for your feedback about Protege. We are always happy what our users feel and think about our tools, and what ideas they have for improvements. Please see below my answers to your particular questions.

On 04/20/2017 08:29 AM, Brenton Ross wrote:
Hi, I have been playing around with 5.2 on my Scientific Linux 7.3
system. This was the platform independent version.

A couple of things:

I selected the Class Individuals tab and experimented a bit with
changing some of the views. I then selected the menu option "Reset
selected tab to default state" expecting to have it return to the way
it was on start-up. However it came up with no views at all. Despite
closing without saving it presented the same blank state on restart.

There is no "Class Individuals" tab in Protege 5.2, only one called "Individuals by class". If this is something that you have created during your experimentation (through the Window -> Create new tab... menu), then when you reset the tab to its default state, it is normal to become empty. What else should it be its default state? There is no way to specify for a user-defined tab that its configuration at a certain point in time is its default configuration. The "Reset selected tab to default state" menu item makes sense for the tabs that come pre-configured as part of the Protege distribution. Does this make sense?

Entering Object Property Assertions seems to be only possible by keying
in the name of the object property and the name of the associated
individual. Surely the option of selecting from lists would be quicker,
but I cannot see a way to do that.

Protege has an auto-completion feature, which works in many expression editor fields (class expression editor, dl query editor, snap sparql query editor, literal value editor, etc). The auto-completion can be activated by CTRL+SPACE (a key combination used in most software development IDEs) and sometimes even with TAB (except in cases where the TAB key overwritten with another functionality). Auto-completion with CTRL+ENTER works also in the Object Property Assertions editor. In fact there is also a hint for this under the fields.

Thanks for providing an otherwise excellent tool - your work is much
appreciated.

Thank you.

Csongor

Brenton

Re: Protege 5.2.0 First Impressions

samsontu

On Apr 20, 2017, at 11:05 AM, Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Entering Object Property Assertions seems to be only possible by keying
in the name of the object property and the name of the associated
individual. Surely the option of selecting from lists would be quicker,
but I cannot see a way to do that.

Protege has an auto-completion feature, which works in many expression editor fields (class expression editor, dl query editor, snap sparql query editor, literal value editor, etc). The auto-completion can be activated by CTRL+SPACE (a key combination used in most software development IDEs) and sometimes even with TAB (except in cases where the TAB key overwritten with another functionality). Auto-completion with CTRL+ENTER works also in the Object Property Assertions editor. In fact there is also a hint for this under the fields.

For Object Property Assertion, the auto-completion function brings up a menu of properties/individuals from which you can select, once you typed in the first few characters.

With best regards,
Samson

--
Samson Tu                                                      email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Engineer                              web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/

Re: Protege 5.2.0 First Impressions

ocratato
Csongor,
Thanks for your reply.

It appears that it picked up an old .javaPrefs hence the Class Individuals tab (and a lot of others from previous versions of Protege).

It may be worth asking the user if they want to use a previous set of preferences when a new version is first started. I imagine it may also cause some problems if the preferences relate to facilities which are no longer in the program.

I still think a list interface might be a useful alternative for object property assertions. I will probably resort to a notepad app for doing cut-n-paste to avoid typing and so I can remember what the target individual actually was.

Cheers
Brenton

On Thu, 2017-04-20 at 11:05 -0700, Csongor Nyulas wrote:
[...]

Thanks again for the clarification, and further suggestions.

Regarding the second issue, as Samson pointed out, the auto-complete function will give you a list of suggestions from which you can choose. BTW, you can get to this list with CTRL+SPACE (not CTRL+ENTER as I wrote it by mistake the second time) even in an empty text box, i.e. before you start typing any letter. Typing further letters shortens the list of suggestions to show only valid values that match the filter. This is quite handy and efficient, and you can do this even after you copy&paste (parts of) property/individual names from external sources, but if you have the full names you would not need this at all. If this is not convenient for you, can you please give some a detailed description about how you envision a different list interface?

Thanks,
Csongor

On 04/20/2017 07:25 PM, Brenton Ross wrote:
[...]

Michael DeBellis-2
Csongor,

First, I should say I think the UI is awesome now and you probably have more important things on your plate. But if there were to be improvements to the way property assertions are entered I can think of two things that I would like to see:

1) When you specify that you want to enter an object property then the possible values that are presented in the menu are constrained to be only those that are instances of the range of the property. The way it is now it shows all the possible values that start with the letters you have typed, which can be a huge list at first.

2) When you view an object instance in the object property and data property assertions area it would be nice to see a list of the possible properties that can be defined for that object. I.e., all the properties whose domain that object is an instance of. That way you wouldn't need to remember the names of the properties. I realize that might be a huge list for some ontologies so it would need to be just an option.

Michael

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the clarifications. Now I understand what you have in mind.
There are several reasons why we haven't implemented these features:
- the meaning of the domain and range axioms are commonly mistaken as being restrictions on what properties can be used on an instance of a class, respectively what are valid instances that can be used as values of a property. This is not the case - at least in OWL! For more on this topic please take a look at some of these resources [1] [2] [3]
- unless one knows exactly what inferences can be made from domain/range axioms, and those inferences are important to be made for a potential application that uses the ontology, setting the domain and range of properties is not recommended, in general. So, depending on domain/range axioms to filter suggested values is not a reliable solution, in case of a general-purpose ontology editor.
- running such a filter on-the-fly, could be very expensive on big ontologies, which could significantly slow down the editor's responsiveness.

That being said, I can see that for certain users, working on certain ontologies that use certain modelling styles, the features that you suggested could improve productivity. We will think about possible solutions, and if we conclude that it is reasonable feature to add, we will consider it for future versions.

Csongor

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/2012/REC-owl2-primer-20121211/#Domain_and_Range_Restrictions
[2] http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2004/slides/6.1_Horridge_CommonErrorsInOWL.pdf (especialy the slides 16-19)
[3] http://blog.pitonyak.org/node/4

On 04/21/2017 01:04 PM, Michael DeBellis wrote:
[...]

I think the problem is that an object property assertion is essentially between two individuals while the interface as its currently designed starts with only one. If it were possible to have two independent "Individual-by-type" panels it might be easier to use.

Cheers
Brenton

On Fri, 2017-04-21 at 12:27 -0700, Csongor Nyulas wrote:
[...]

Well this is a different idea. You could almost do that adding different existing plugins to a Protege tab (see screen shot below). But to really do what you want one should write a plugin (which could use already existing views) that accomplishes the exact behaviour you are talking about. Contributions are always welcome!

BTW, I created an issue about your previous suggestions, so that we won't forget it:
https://github.com/protegeproject/webprotege/issues/394

Csongor

On 04/21/2017 04:27 PM, Brenton Ross wrote:
[...]

That's not what a range in OWL is used for! With your method you would avoid that those instances can be inferred to be of the type specified in the range and you must explicitly assert the instances to the range before being able to use it as property assertion object. No, that's for sure wrong.
Never forget, domain and range are used for inference, not as restriction!

[...]

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Protege 5.2.0 First Impressions

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator

On 04/22/2017 02:06 AM, Lorenz B. wrote:
Csongor,

You probably meant to say: "Michael, " , right? :)

I said the same thing in my reply to Michael, although I used different words and arguments.

Regards,