Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi there -- is there any reason for not including Fact++ in Protégé 5.5.0? Pellet is impossibly slow, Fact++ was the best option before. Any advice on how to add Fact ++ to 5.5.0?

Thank you so much.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723
Fax: (860) 832-2712
Web site: cs.ccsu.edu/~neli/

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

Michael DeBellis-2
Neli, it's easy to use Fact++, it's a plugin. When Protege starts up the first time you should get a window that shows you a list of all the currently supported plugins. Or you can go to "File>Check for plugins" and you will see the same window.  Just check the box next to Fact++.  Protege will load it and then tell you that it will be available the next time you restart Protege.

I use Pellet because as far as I know Pellet has the best support for the SWRL builtins. So if you use or plan to use the SWRLTab keep that in mind. I haven't tried using Fact++ for quite some time so this may have changed but last time I tried it, Fact++ didn't support the swrlb builtins for things like math, string manipulation, etc.

Michael

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 5:34 PM Zlatareva, Neli (Computer Science) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi there -- is there any reason for not including Fact++ in Protégé 5.5.0? Pellet is impossibly slow, Fact++ was the best option before. Any advice on how to add Fact ++ to 5.5.0?

Thank you so much.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723
Fax: (860) 832-2712
Web site: cs.ccsu.edu/~neli/

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi Michael, thank you so much for the quick response. Fact++ does not show up in the Check up for plugins window (it was always there before). I do use Pellet for SWRL as it is the only one supporting rules, but it is incredibly slow otherwise. Any idea why Fact++ does not show up for me in the plugins in 5.5.0  (it was there in the last beta version)?

Thank you so much.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

Hi Neli,

If a plugin does not show up in the “Check for plugins” window then this means the Protege thinks it is already installed.

Please can you check the log for a list of plugins that are started when Protege starts up?  You can view this by going to “Window -> Show log…”

On Apr 16, 2019, at 09:26, Zlatareva, Neli (Computer Science) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Michael, thank you so much for the quick response. Fact++ does not show up in the Check up for plugins window (it was always there before). I do use Pellet for SWRL as it is the only one supporting rules, but it is incredibly slow otherwise. Any idea why Fact++ does not show up for me in the plugins in 5.5.0  (it was there in the last beta version)?
Thank you so much.
Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi Matthew,

yes, indeed the Protege assumes Fact++ is already installed, but here is the error message

from the log

Plugin: Factplusplus Plug-in (1.6.5) was not successfully started.  Please see the Protege log for more details.

No more details listed in the log -- just this message.

It seems that some (who I have asked) of my students are also unable to run Fact++ after installing it from the plugin. Any suggestion what might be wrong? Everything was fine with the beta version.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi Matthew, I cannot find "Unsatisfied link" error in the log, but there is a description of this error that is beyond me.  I am attaching the log file in case you want to have a look. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

ProtegeLog.txt (28K) Download Attachment

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any suggestions about how to make it work.

Thank you so much.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

elvic
Hi Neli,

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote

> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

Hi Elvi,

No, I have not heart back from the Protégé team regarding any suggestions/fixes. Would be nice if they reply to you -- then I will probably get my answer too. My students have exact same problem. No one was able to use Fact++ with Protégé 5.5.0. If you get a solution, PLEASE share with me. In my experience, Fact++ is the only reasoner that works reasonably well with larger ontologies.

Thanks.

--
Sent from: https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fprotege-project.136.n4.nabble.com%2FProtege-User-f4659818.html&amp;data=01%7C01%7Czlatareva%40ccsu.edu%7C41df1844b6844b7fdf3e08d6d35b2785%7C2329c570b5804223803b427d800e81b6%7C0&amp;sdata=qMZXD%2Ftj6TlWLsE%2B3Dk5wEJdzUG19kjRmtRSKfAHNIM%3D&amp;reserved=0
https://nam01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fmailman.stanford.edu%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fprotege-user&amp;data=01%7C01%7Czlatareva%40ccsu.edu%7C41df1844b6844b7fdf3e08d6d35b2785%7C2329c570b5804223803b427d800e81b6%7C0&amp;sdata=9EgSAnz1QZDgVyhNDyZrThDq9vp2W2MD126kmvHK8K0%3D&amp;reserved=0

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

Lorenz Buehmann
Hi all,

I cannot reproduce the problem:

* I downloaded the latest Protege 5.5.0 tarball archive
* I installed the plugin via File -> Check for plugins ... ->
* restarted Protege which shows up with
------------------------------------ Protege -----------------------------------
Protege Desktop
Version 5.5.0, Build

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

Hi there, all my students and I get exact same problem with Fact++. It indeed installs from the plugin menu, but cannot load because of an error. I am out of the country but will be able to provide the error log again if needed when I get back. Any resolution will be highly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote
> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

We are looking into this.  The problem, as far as we can tell, seems to be Windows 10 specific.  I’ll post here as soon as I have some more details, which may be after the weekend.

All the best,

Matthew

On May 9, 2019, at 06:19, Zlatareva, Neli (Computer Science) <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi there, all my students and I get exact same problem with Fact++. It indeed installs from the plugin menu, but cannot load because of an error. I am out of the country but will be able to provide the error log again if needed when I get back. Any resolution will be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote
> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

As a last minute solution, seeing that fact++ seemed to work with Protege on
Linux, I installed it on a virtual machine, and it works fine. (if you
really need it going asap)

Looking forward however to a Windows 10 fix.

All the best and thanks for the support :D

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

zlatareva

THANK YOU! Really appreciated.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote
> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

Well, yeah - forgot to say I'm using Linux.
Surprised to hear that all CS students are using Windows nowadays, but why not.
I'm wondering if the most recent Fact++ plugin (which is also 2 years old by the way) has ever worked on a Windows machine or if just none of the Protege user was using Fact++ in the past.

By the way, I know that Ignazio reimplemented Fact++ in pure Java project called JFact. It also provides a Protege plugin which can be downloaded here [1]. Just download the file and put it into the /plugins directory manually. I tried it and it works with Protege 5.5.0. I'm not aware of the implementation differences or how much the C++ part is more efficient than Java here, but as far as I know its design matches FaCT++, so maybe this also works for your ontologies? At least you'll get rid of any C bindings trouble with Windows here.

THANK YOU! Really appreciated.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote
> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

Just my 2 cents: I'm using Windows and I tried loading Fact++. When I click on Fact++ in the "Check for Plugins" dialog that lists all the plugins not yet installed, rather than see the usual overview (which I do see for all the other plugins so it's not a network issue) I see an error message: Problem obtaining details: http://factplusplus.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/version-info-p4.1.html  When I go to this URL Chrome just says "The requested URL /svn/trunk/version-info-p4.1.html was not found on this server. That’s all we know." So not a good sign. I tried loading Fact++ anyway and it didn't work for me either. I'm running Windows 10 Version 1809 Java 8 Update 211.

I'm wondering is there a specific reason you are trying to use Fact++? I use Pellet because it supports SWRL and SWRL is very useful.

Michael

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 10:52 PM Zlatareva, Neli (Computer Science) <[hidden email]> wrote:

THANK YOU! Really appreciated.

Regards, Neli.

Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Central Connecticut State University
New Britain, CT 06050
Phone: (860) 832-2723

I am having a similar problem (if not the same) as you regarding Fact++ for
Protege 5.5.0.
I have downloaded it from the Plugins menu on Protege, and the .jar file
shows up inside the plugins folder of Protege. However, it will not show up
in the Reasoner menu of Protege.
I checked the log, and it says "Error starting file..." and it points to the
.jar file in the plugins folder.
I noticed you stopped replying a few days ago to this forum, and I was
wondering if you have found a solution to this problem ever since.
I also checked the log file you had uploaded here, and mine looks really
similar.
Your log file says "...Unable to resolve
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0): *missing requirement
[uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus [36](R 36.0)]*". Mine writes something
similar, apart from the fact that it is *missing requirement [33](R 33.0)*
instead of 36.
If you have found any solution, or anything else, all help is appreciated,
have been stuck trying to figure this out for way too long.

Thank you in advance,
Elvi

zlatareva wrote
> Hi Matthew, I am forwarding my previous e-mail with the Protégé log
> attachment just in case you did not get it the first time -- I am having
> problems with Fact++ error in Protégé 5.5.0. Will be very grateful for any
> suggestions about how to make it work.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Regards, Neli.
>

> Neli P. Zlatareva, PhD
> Professor of Computer Science
> Department of Computer Science
> Central Connecticut State University
> New Britain, CT 06050
> Phone: (860) 832-2723
> Fax: (860) 832-2712

jperani
@zlatareva
Hi,
I had the same problem with FaCT++ 1.6.5 with the Protege 5.5.0 release, and
OS windows 10.
The problem is Fact++, not Protégé. There has been no new release of Fact++
since 2016, and Windows 10 is not declared in the JAR manifest as a
supported OS.
Here is a workaround to make it compatible : you have to update the manifest
in the JAR file, and add Windows 10 declaration.

Workaround steps:

* Prerequisite: you must have a JDK 8 installed (you need the `*jar*`
command line tool to update the manifest)

* Download the last release of Fact++ Protégé Plugin 5.X (v1.6.5):
https://bitbucket.org/dtsarkov/factplusplus/downloads/uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus-P5.x-v1.6.5.jar

* Put the JAR in Protégé's `*plugins*` dir

* Download the manifest fix file and put it in Protégé's `*plugins*` dir:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/jpi-seb/12627bba6509a85a9c75afd262e78469/raw/28016a4b292c94549623c71dff4028cbea274a29/factplusplus-P5.x-v1.6.5-manifest-fix-win10.txt
   This fix file contains the content of the `*Bundle-NativeCode*` key from
the original `*MANIFEST.MF*` file of the JAR
   It has been modified to add the new values:
      *os=Windows10 ;*
      *os=Windows 10 ;*

* Open a command line in this directory, and execute this command to update
the manifest inside the JAR file:
  *jar umf factplusplus-P5.x-v1.6.5-manifest-fix-win10.txt
uk.ac.manchester.cs.owl.factplusplus-P5.x-v1.6.5.jar*

 Restart Protégé: Fact++ should be available in the Reasoner menu

Hope it helps you and your students !

Julien

Re: Protege 5.5.0 and Fact++

marksem
This change to the manifest worked. Thanks!