Protege 5.5.0 beta 5 fails on Java Exception: "URI has an authority component"

Protege 5.5.0 beta 5 fails on Java Exception: "URI has an authority component"

metro

This is unfortunately a newbie question along the lines of "Please do not press this button again".

I've tried 5.5.0 beta 4 and it worked just fine for at least 2 weeks.

Then I did two things, one of which has sealed my fate.

The first was attempt to load the Matrix plug-in, which may have been an incompatible version, but I don't think that was the reason.

The other thing I changed was the default location from a web URI/URL (http://semanticweb.org...) to a local file path on some Configuration/Preferences dialog.

I can’t tell you which dialog ‘cos I can’t get the thing to start again.

In the next restart 5.5.0 beta 4 stopped on:

"java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: URI has an authority component"

"at java.io.File.<init>(File.java:423) ~[na:1.8.0_40]"

In the log file it says:

"Cannot generate ontology catalog for ontology at file:.... URI has an authority component"

It doesn’t display the GUI, it just stops.

  • Deleting the entire install directory and replacing it with a fresh install of beta 4 and beta 5 doesn't work
  • Same result with the protege.exe and run.bat.
  • I searched the archives for "authority component" and got no hits and "IllegalArgumentException" got 99 hits, but nothing looked close.

My diagnosis:

Protege seems to be remembering the setting of that URI as a 'user default’ or ‘preference' across installs in a place I can't find, so I can't delete it.

It isn't in an obvious place like "C:\Users\<user name>", like the log file is. It isn’t in the install directory because I delete it completely between installs.

  • Where can I look for that configuration setting and can I manually edit it?
  • What should I change it to?
  • Does it fiddle with the Registry?

Windows 10, 64bit

java version "1.8.0_191"

Thanks in advance....BTW a truly impressive tool.

- Demmy

Architecture & Security Team

Information Technology Services

Victoria University of Wellington

Re: Protege 5.5.0 beta 5 fails on Java Exception: "URI has an authority component"

metro
I got no response to my query of 15/11/2018 so I had another deeper look
through the registry, guessed at something and I think solved my immediate
problem.

I found a registry key:
Computer\HKEY_USERS\...\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\/P/R/O/T/E/G/E_/P/R/E/F/E/R/E/N/C/E/S\application_preferences\/Ontology/Preferences
Which was set to (what I thought was) a valid File/URI reference.

After I set the key value to null, Protégé started up no problems.

I believe the parameter I clobbered that led to the java error, was accessed
via:
File->Preferences->New Ontologies->’Default ontology IRI base’ field.
It now displays as ‘null’ after Protégé starts, but I believe had
http://semanticweb.org’ or similar at first for some reason I don’t
understand.

Can someone tell me what the ‘Default ontology IRI base’ field is for?
Why was it pointed at ‘http://semanticweb.org’?
Can I get by with it set to null?
What functionality will I lose?
I didn’t get very far searching the Wiki for "IRI".

Thanks in advance…