Protégé + Data Bases / queries

Romain Bammert
Hi,

1) I would like to have some information on how to connect Protégé OWL to data bases (for example different Oracle or Access relational DB). How can I load the individuals which are in the DB in the relevant classes from my ontology. Do I need an extra mapping process ?

2) How to use the QueriesTab plugin ? (I have Protege 3.1.1 with OWL 2.1 build 284)

Thanks in advance

Romain

[protege-owl] Re: Protégé + Data Bases / queries

Nick Drummond
Hi Romain,

1) You can use a OWL Database project to create your ontology in a
database (see the project types when you open a new project), however
this is really only sensible for managing classes. Creation of lots of
individuals in your ontology is arguably a bad idea as they have a large
impact on being able to reason (if this is important to you). However,
if you create them in a separate ontology that imports your classes
ontology, technologies like the InstanceStore [1] can help query over
large numbers of them - however there are still strict constraints over
what can be handled (many of these are likely to be solved soon we
hope). Programmatically, Protege-OWL also provides hooks into jena [2]
which may allow you to load your ontology into several supported triple
stores (rdf optimised Dbs) - this might be worth a look.

2) I'm not sure that the queries tab supports OWL (although I'd be happy
for other people to tell me this is incorrect)

Hope this helps

Nick

[1] http://instancestore.man.ac.uk/
[2] http://jena.sourceforge.net/