Protege EON Guidelines

12

Protege EON Guidelines

Bala Moodley

Good Day All,

Please would anyone be of any assistance in pointing me in the right
direction towards writing of an EON Guideline into a relational record
within a Database, and executing that guideline there-off.

Thank You

Regards

Bala Moodley

Re: Protege EON Guidelines

samsontu

An instance of EON Guideline is a messy network of classes and
instances. There are a couple conceptually simple ways of mapping them
to relational tables. However, executing a guideline from the relational
records is an impossible task.

I have an execution engine (written in Java) that partially implements
the EON guideline model, if you are interested. HOwever, I can't provide
support for it.

Samson

--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/

Jess Tab rule error

vsingh

Hi I am trying to use the following rule.....but not wrking...there is
sumthing wrong with the category perhaps.....

Jess> (defrule recommend-media-for-player
(object(is-a Product)(partnumber ?media)(category ?c&dvd-disk|videotape))
=>
(printout t ?media crlf))
TRUE
Jess> (run)

It is not showing the matching facts...although the facts are well defined....

thanks in advance..

Re: Jess Tab rule error

samsontu

When you ask a Jess question like this, generally it is impossible to
answer it without knowing your ontology and your knowledge base. My
guess is that the value type of the category slot doesn't allow it to
match dvd-disk and videotape. The rule should be fine if the value type
of the category slot is Symbol. If it's String, then you need double
quotes around dvd-disk and videotape.

Samson

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi I am trying to use the following rule.....but not wrking...there is
> sumthing wrong with the category perhaps.....
>
> Jess> (defrule recommend-media-for-player
> (object(is-a Product)(partnumber ?media)(category ?c&dvd-disk|videotape))
> =>
> (printout t ?media crlf))
> TRUE
> Jess> (run)
>

> It is not showing the matching facts...although the facts are well defined....
>
> thanks in advance..

Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: Jess Tab rule error

vsingh

figured out it doesnt work with double quotes too...the logical or has
to be outside the (object..... bracket.....it works now...

thanks again

Quoting Samson Tu <[hidden email]>:

> When you ask a Jess question like this, generally it is impossible to
> answer it without knowing your ontology and your knowledge base. My
> guess is that the value type of the category slot doesn't allow it to
> match dvd-disk and videotape. The rule should be fine if the value type
> of the category slot is Symbol. If it's String, then you need double
> quotes around dvd-disk and videotape.
>
> Samson
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi I am trying to use the following rule.....but not wrking...there is
>> sumthing wrong with the category perhaps.....
>>
>> Jess> (defrule recommend-media-for-player
>> (object(is-a Product)(partnumber ?media)(category ?c&dvd-disk|videotape))
>> =>
>> (printout t ?media crlf))
>> TRUE
>> Jess> (run)
>>

>> It is not showing the matching facts...although the facts are well
>> defined....
>>
>> thanks in advance..

> Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
> Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
> Stanford Medical Informatics phone: 1-650-725-3391
> Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Protege Plugin to load data from a database

Daniel Holbert

I'm thinking of writing a Protege plugin that would be able to create
instances of a given class by reading data from an external database.

For example, suppose I have a class called "Term" in Protege with the
slots "ID", "name", and "definition".  I'd like to be able to populate
that class with instances taken from some "TERMS" table in a database,
with columns "termID", "termName," and "termDefn".

I have 2 questions:

1. Is there already an easy way to do this?

2. Would anyone else find this useful?
(if so, then I'd probably make the plugin available, if it works well
enough :))

Thanks,

Daniel Holbert
PharmGKB
Stanford University

Re: Protege Plugin to load data from a database

Daniel Holbert

 > 1. Is there already an easy way to do this?

Just in case it wasn't clear -- what I meant was, is there already an
easy way to import this type of data **without writing a plugin**?  (I
don't want to reinvent the wheel)

Thanks,
~Daniel

Daniel Holbert wrote:

> I'm thinking of writing a Protege plugin that would be able to create
> instances of a given class by reading data from an external database.
>
> For example, suppose I have a class called "Term" in Protege with the
> slots "ID", "name", and "definition".  I'd like to be able to populate
> that class with instances taken from some "TERMS" table in a database,
> with columns "termID", "termName," and "termDefn".
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. Is there already an easy way to do this?
>
> 2. Would anyone else find this useful?
> (if so, then I'd probably make the plugin available, if it works well
> enough :))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Daniel Holbert
> PharmGKB
> Stanford University

Re: Protege Plugin to load data from a database

Bala Moodley

Good Day Daniel,

The plug in that you create will be highly beneficial to me, as I am interested in learning to develop an EON Guideline from Protégé and store that definition within a database, which I would later use to within a Dot Net Application.

Regards

Bala Moodley

Re: Protege EON Guidelines

Bala Moodley

Good Day Samson,

I thank you for your feedback. Perhaps some clarity on what I intend doing might further assist in the discussion.

My project is to create a Clinical Decision Support System Prototype that would assist a Clinical sister, in Rural South Africa, in terms of assisting with diagnosis and speeding up her day to day tasks.

I have discussions with students and lecturers from University of Kwazulu Natal and they suggested we use the EON language with Dharma within Protégé to develop the guideline. My main focus is the Execution/Interpretation engine.

The global project is to incorporate a dot net Guideline Execution Engine that would trigger/interpret/execute the appropriate guideline based on data entered within a Primary Care Information System, based on a SQL server Database.

For the interim however, I am to create a Dot Net Prototype of a Guideline Engine that would interpret an EON guideline and execute it. If you say you have a Java Execution Engine, I would appreciate the syntax, as a guide to the development of a Dot Net C# execution engine.

Do you know in what format does the Protégé application save a Guideline in?

Any other information that you may deem, would be most beneficial to me, I will gladly appreciate.

Thank You

Regards,

Bala Moodley

--
Samson Tu                    email: [hidden email]
Senior Research Scientist    web: www.stanford.edu/~swt/
Stanford University          fax: 1-650-725-7944

Re: Protege Plugin to load data from a database

whetzel-2
I too would be interested in this plugin.

Trish

> The plug in that you create will be highly beneficial to me, as I am
> interested in learning to develop an EON Guideline from Protégé and
> store that definition within a database, which I would later use to
> within a Dot Net Application.
>
> Regards
>
> Bala Moodley

Re: Protege EON Guidelines

samsontu

Currently Protege saves EON guidelines in the text pont/pins format. The
easiest way to load it into an application is to use Protege's Java API.
You can download a sample EON guideline knowledge base at
http://www.smi.stanford.edu/projects/eon/eon2.zip

Documentation for the EON guideline model can be found at
http://www.smi.stanford.edu/projects/eon/EONGuidelineModelDocumentation.doc

A high-level description the EON execution architecture can be found at
http://www-smi.stanford.edu/pubs/SMI_Reports/SMI-2000-0829.pdf

I am not familiar with C# and Dot Net. The EON execution engine is
implemented in 300+ Java class files. I am not sure how that can help you.

Samson

Bala Moodley wrote:

> Good Day Samson,
>
> I thank you for your feedback. Perhaps some clarity on what I intend doing might further assist in the discussion.
>
> My project is to create a Clinical Decision Support System Prototype that would assist a Clinical sister, in Rural South Africa, in terms of assisting with diagnosis and speeding up her day to day tasks.
>
> I have discussions with students and lecturers from University of Kwazulu Natal and they suggested we use the EON language with Dharma within Protégé to develop the guideline. My main focus is the Execution/Interpretation engine.
>
> The global project is to incorporate a dot net Guideline Execution Engine that would trigger/interpret/execute the appropriate guideline based on data entered within a Primary Care Information System, based on a SQL server Database.
>
> For the interim however, I am to create a Dot Net Prototype of a Guideline Engine that would interpret an EON guideline and execute it. If you say you have a Java Execution Engine, I would appreciate the syntax, as a guide to the development of a Dot Net C# execution engine.
>
> Do you know in what format does the Protégé application save a Guideline in?
>
> Any other information that you may deem, would be most beneficial to me, I will gladly appreciate.
>
> Thank You
>
> Regards,
>
> Bala Moodley

I thank you for your response and advice.

Unfortunately the last link describing the EON Architecture, does not work. Please would you revise the link? I will appreciate it if I could review the EON java Execution Engine, any information pertinent to Guideline execution will be most beneficial to me.

Thank You

Best Regards

Bala Moodley

Bala Moodley wrote:

> Good Day Samson,
>
> I thank you for your feedback. Perhaps some clarity on what I intend doing might further assist in the discussion.
>
> My project is to create a Clinical Decision Support System Prototype that would assist a Clinical sister, in Rural South Africa, in terms of assisting with diagnosis and speeding up her day to day tasks.
>
> I have discussions with students and lecturers from University of Kwazulu Natal and they suggested we use the EON language with Dharma within Protégé to develop the guideline. My main focus is the Execution/Interpretation engine.
>
> The global project is to incorporate a dot net Guideline Execution Engine that would trigger/interpret/execute the appropriate guideline based on data entered within a Primary Care Information System, based on a SQL server Database.
>
> For the interim however, I am to create a Dot Net Prototype of a Guideline Engine that would interpret an EON guideline and execute it. If you say you have a Java Execution Engine, I would appreciate the syntax, as a guide to the development of a Dot Net C# execution engine.
>
> Do you know in what format does the Protégé application save a Guideline in?
>
> Any other information that you may deem, would be most beneficial to me, I will gladly appreciate.
>
> Thank You
>
> Regards,
>
> Bala Moodley

Since sending my original email, I've discovered the "DataGenie" plugin,
which seems to do what I needed:
http://faculty.washington.edu/gennari/Protege-plugins/DataGenie/index.html

The latest version was built for Protege 3.0, but it seems to work
fairly decently in Protege 3.2 beta. (running from sources at least -- I
haven't tried running it with the binary version of Protege)   I'd
recommend backing up your project before doing anything mission-critical
with it, though, because it threw a few exceptions when I was messing
around with it.

~Daniel

Daniel Holbert wrote:

>  > 1. Is there already an easy way to do this?
>
> Just in case it wasn't clear -- what I meant was, is there already an
> easy way to import this type of data **without writing a plugin**?  (I
> don't want to reinvent the wheel)
>
> Thanks,
> ~Daniel
>
> Daniel Holbert wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm thinking of writing a Protege plugin that would be able to create
>  > instances of a given class by reading data from an external database.
>  >
>  > For example, suppose I have a class called "Term" in Protege with the
>  > slots "ID", "name", and "definition".  I'd like to be able to populate
>  > that class with instances taken from some "TERMS" table in a database,
>  > with columns "termID", "termName," and "termDefn".
>  >
>  > I have 2 questions:
>  >
>  > 1. Is there already an easy way to do this?
>  >
>  > 2. Would anyone else find this useful?
>  > (if so, then I'd probably make the plugin available, if it works well
>  > enough :))
>  >
>  > Thanks,
>  >
>  > Daniel Holbert
>  > PharmGKB
>  > Stanford University
>  >
>  >

Re: Protege EON Guidelines

samsontu

The link works for me. I am not sure what the problem is. Alternatively,
you can look for it from SMI's publication page.

http://smi-web.stanford.edu/auslese/smi-web/research/index.jsp

Samson

Bala Moodley wrote:

> Good Day Samson,
>
> I thank you for your response and advice.
>
> Unfortunately the last link describing the EON Architecture, does not work. Please would you revise the link? I will appreciate it if I could review the EON java Execution Engine, any information pertinent to Guideline execution will be most beneficial to me.
>
> Thank You
>
> Best Regards
>
> Bala Moodley

Vbertaud

Dans un e-mail daté du 21/08/2006 00:43:50 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
[hidden email] a écrit :

>I'm thinking of writing a Protege plugin that would be able to  create
>instances of a given class by reading data from an external  database.

>For example, suppose I have a class called "Term" in  Protege with the
>slots "ID", "name", and "definition".  I'd like  to be able to populate
>that class with instances taken from some  "TERMS" table in a database,
>with columns "termID", "termName," and  "termDefn".

>I have 2 questions:

>1. Is there already an  easy way to do this?

In order to do that, I converted a database table into an XML file and I
wrote a small Jython script to populate my ontology from the XML file. It is
quite easy but it would be faster to do it without having to write a  script.
    Valerie

>2. Would anyone else find  this useful?
>(if so, then I'd probably make the plugin available, if it  works well
>enough :))

>Thanks,

>Daniel  Holbert
>PharmGKB
>Stanford  University

Re: Protege Plugin to load data from a database

Daniel Rubin-2

This quite easy to do, especially if your database table corresponds to the
class definition whose instances you wish to create. Simply iterate each
row in the table, creating a new instance and seting its slot values to the
corresponding column values for that row. The protege script tab is quite
nice for this purpose, as you can work in various scripting languages and
load the file within the protege environment and instantly see whether you
are getting the results you expect.
Regards,
Daniel

Quoting [hidden email]:

> Dans un e-mail daté du 21/08/2006 00:43:50 Paris, Madrid (heure d'été),
> [hidden email] a écrit :
>

> >I'm thinking of writing a Protege plugin that would be able to  create
> >instances of a given class by reading data from an external  database.
>
> >For example, suppose I have a class called "Term" in  Protege with the
> >slots "ID", "name", and "definition".  I'd like  to be able to populate
> >that class with instances taken from some  "TERMS" table in a database,
> >with columns "termID", "termName," and  "termDefn".
>
> >I have 2 questions:
>
> >1. Is there already an  easy way to do this?
>
> In order to do that, I converted a database table into an XML file and I
> wrote a small Jython script to populate my ontology from the XML file. It
> is
> quite easy but it would be faster to do it without having to write a
> script.
>     Valerie
>
> >2. Would anyone else find  this useful?
> >(if so, then I'd probably make the plugin available, if it  works well
> >enough :))
>
> >Thanks,
>
> >Daniel  Holbert
> >PharmGKB
> >Stanford  University

Ontology discovery

sione

Has anyone done any project or perhaps any publications about using
machine learning or datamining to build an ontology for a set of product
that has not been categorised or say partially categorised?

Any hint would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sione.

Re: Ontology discovery

Donovan, Richard
I have been watching the Protege-discussion board for a good while now (and have not respoded before now) and have not seen any discussion in this regard.  I have however been thinking along these lines for some time and hve a firm notion that machine learning techniques can and should be deeply investigated for this application.  I have some experinece with ANNs and feel that they would be very applicable to developing an agent based application that could autonomously develop nominally effective ontolgies from unclassified data.

________________________________

Has anyone done any project or perhaps any publications about using
machine learning or datamining to build an ontology for a set of product
that has not been categorised or say partially categorised?

Any hint would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sione.

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- Size: 3k (3992 bytes)

ontology learning pointers [Re: Re: Ontology discovery]

Jochen L. Leidner

Hi,

Here are pointers to some recent workshops:
http://www.ais.fraunhofer.de/KD/AIS_Workshop/WS_Learning_and_Extending_Lexical_Ontologies.html
http://olp.dfki.de/ecai04/cfp.htm

Here's a link to a recent book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0792376560/002-3771506-2516856?v=glance&n=283155

And here you can show that your implementation beats other researchers:
PASCAL Ontology Learning Challenge
http://olc.ijs.si/index.html

Happy hacking!

  Regards,
  Jochen

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Sione <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone done any project or perhaps any publications about using
> machine learning or datamining to build an ontology for a set of product
> that has not been categorised or say partially categorised?

--
Jochen L Leidner                                            [hidden email]
School of Informatics                               [hidden email]

Re: Ontology discovery

Vytautas Taujanskas

Donovan, Richard <RDonovan <at> mtech.edu> writes:

> I have been watching the Protege-discussion board for a good while now (and
have not respoded before now)
> and have not seen any discussion in this regard.  I have however been thinking
along these lines for some
> time and hve a firm notion that machine learning techniques can and should be
deeply investigated for this
> application.  I have some experinece with ANNs and feel that they would be
very applicable to developing an
> agent based application that could autonomously develop nominally effective
ontolgies from
> unclassified data.

There's a good research made by Ontology engineering group in Universidad
Politécnica de Madrid. It's called "A survey of ontology learning methods and
techniques" - you can get it there.
(http://isk.ktu.lt:8081/wiki/?wakka=LiteraTure/files&get=deliverable_1.5.pdf)

You need to define your data input and find appropriate method.

Vytautas Taujanskas

12