Protege and TopBraid Composer

Holger Knublauch
Dear Protege Users,

as some of you will know, I was responsible for much of the Protege-OWL
development in the last few years.  At the end of 2005 I moved on to
TopQuadrant, where I am now responsible for developing a new semantic
technology toolset called TopBraid Composer:

        http://www.topbraidcomposer.com

In order to deal with questions I have received and more that I can
expect in the future, I would like to explain how TopBraid Composer
relates to Protege.  I have composed a web page about this at

        http://www.topbraidcomposer.com/tbc-protege.html

If this page does not sufficiently address your questions please feel
free to email me at [hidden email]

Thanks :)
Holger

Re: Protege and TopBraid Composer

adam.saltiel
Holger,
Hats off to you and TopQuadrant.
I realise this is a difficult area. You are mediating the ground
between open and closed source. But if we all take the very broad
view, everyone who has been involved should be very proud. The
technology has gone a long way both as open source and through
Universities' funding. It so happens that the area can benefit from
the focus that a private company can bring to bear.
TopQuadrant is not the only player, either. In Europe there are a few
boot strapping themselves with EU funding. Sometimes they end up with
the most finished artifact for use in house, their business is not in
tools. From this point of view we should also be grateful to
TopQuadrant.
I would like to learn *as much as possible* about the ability to lift
xsd to owl using the tool. Can you point me?
With thanks,
Adam

Adam Saltiel

adasal wrote:
> Holger,
> Hats off to you and TopQuadrant.

Thanks!

> I realise this is a difficult area. You are mediating the ground
> between open and closed source. But if we all take the very broad
> view, everyone who has been involved should be very proud. The
> technology has gone a long way both as open source and through
> Universities' funding. It so happens that the area can benefit from
> the focus that a private company can bring to bear.

That's our goal.  From our product placement it is easy to infer that a
company like TopQuadrant will directly benefit from increasing the
market's acceptance of Semantic technology.  One way of achieving this
is by providing a broader choice of tools for end-users, so that for
example people with an Eclipse background discover that technologies
like OWL and RDF Schema are ready to use - beyond the good will of
academic research tools and groups.

> TopQuadrant is not the only player, either. In Europe there are a few
> boot strapping themselves with EU funding. Sometimes they end up with
> the most finished artifact for use in house, their business is not in
> tools. From this point of view we should also be grateful to
> TopQuadrant.

Having said the above, we take the tooling issue very serious, and have
a long term commitment to supporting the TopBraid platform - not only as
a means to increase the application market.

> I would like to learn *as much as possible* about the ability to lift
> xsd to owl using the tool. Can you point me?

The best way is to try it out yourself.  The corresponding help page
(also bundled in the product's help) is

     http://www.topbraidcomposer.com/documentation/Import_XML.htm

There is no documentation yet about the particular conversion algorithm,
but we do the straight-forward mappings such as complex types into
classes.  With a few example files you will be able to figure this out
yourself, and I hope to be able to write down some concepts in the
future.  In fact, this work has high priority for us for our contracts
with a large government space agency (without mentioning names :) ).  If
anyone finds ways to improve the XSD handling, please let me know.

After publishing 1.0.0 I have already worked on some optimizations here
and there, including some additional conversion rules for XSD to convert
xs:enumerations into owl:oneOf.  This will be available in 1.0.1 soon.

Holger

> With thanks,
> Adam
>
> Adam Saltiel
>
> On 11/05/06, Holger Knublauch <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Protege Users,
>>
>> as some of you will know, I was responsible for much of the Protege-OWL
>> development in the last few years.  At the end of 2005 I moved on to
>> TopQuadrant, where I am now responsible for developing a new semantic
>> technology toolset called TopBraid Composer:
>>
>>         http://www.topbraidcomposer.com
>>

>> In order to deal with questions I have received and more that I can
>> expect in the future, I would like to explain how TopBraid Composer
>> relates to Protege.  I have composed a web page about this at
>>
>>         http://www.topbraidcomposer.com/tbc-protege.html
>>

>> If this page does not sufficiently address your questions please feel
>> free to email me at [hidden email]
>>
>> Thanks :)
>> Holger

Re: Protege and TopBraid Composer

adam.saltiel
our contracts with a large government space agency (without mentioning names :) ).

Ha!

After publishing 1.0.0 I have already worked on some optimizations here
and there, including some additional conversion rules for XSD to convert
xs:enumerations into owl:oneOf.  This will be available in 1.0.1 soon.

Thank you *very much*, I have been banging on and looking for this for the last year ++, have found a couple of things, but was not convinced by them.
Adam