Protégé as Enterprise Arqchitecture Tool

Protégé as Enterprise Arqchitecture Tool

Bruno Gallego Soares do Amaral
Dears,

    I was using "Protege 3.5" + "Essential Project" for Enterprise Architecture, although Protege 3.5 it is deprecated.
    I could export the onthology model to OWL and opened on "Protege 5.5".
    However It seems Protege 5.5 does not have a property editor for the instance of the model.

    Is there any way to do the same thing with Protege 5.5 ?    ( Two files were attached to figure out )

Regards,

Bruno Gallego S. do Amaral

Secretaria de Tecnologia e Informação - STI/CSIS/DIPAQ
Tribunal Regional do Trabalho da 1ª Região
Tels.: (021) 2380-7473

protege3-5.png (172K) Download Attachment
protege5.png (335K) Download Attachment

Re: Protégé as Enterprise Arqchitecture Tool

Michael DeBellis-2
First, if you haven't already done so, I would encourage you to do the Protege Pizza tutorial. It will take you through how to edit properties and other basic capabilities of the current Protege tool. It's a bit out of date in a few cases the current UI is different in minor ways from that in the tutorial but most people can figure it out and if you can't someone on the list can guide you through it. I think this is the most recent version of the tutorial:

There is also another version on the Protege Wiki:

But to answer your question, yes you definitely can set property values in the current version of Protege. If you go to the Individuals by Class Tab you should see a window in the left corner with all your classes. As you click on a class all its instances (if it has any) will be displayed below it in a pane that says Instances. If you then select an instance it's properties will show up in the right corner in a window that says "Property Assertions". I've included a screen print from my ontology, which is an ontology describing various moral theories. As you can see in the screen shot below I've navigated to the class MoralChoice to see all its instances. I clicked on one of the instances of MoralChoice called Bystander1Choice and its properties show up at the right in the pane that says "Property Assertions: Bystander1Choice". To edit a property click on the little "o" icon. To add a new property click on the "+" icon. Note, this example only has object properties but the data properties show up right below it and work the same.

When you add or edit a property, Protege will do type ahead for you. Both as you are entering the name of the property and the value of the property (for object properties, obviously for data properties like strings or integers there is no way to do type ahead completion). At any point type <control><space> and Protege will either complete the name (if what you've typed is unambiguous and only one object could complete the name) or a pop-up menu of the possible objects that can complete what you typed so far. Note: that Protege does NOT do type checking. So if the range of your property is the class Person when you do type ahead Protege will show all the objects that match what you typed so far even if some of them are not subclasses of Person and would cause the reasoner to signal an error. I think the reason Protege doesn't do this is that Range restrictions can actually get pretty complex.

There are other ways to edit properties as well. There is a tool called Celfie that lets you import data from spreadsheets. There is also a Matrix plugin tool that displays values in Protege in a spreadsheet like format. Not sure if that supports editing as well.

Michael

InstancesInProtege.PNG

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 9:29 AM Bruno Gallego Soares do Amaral <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dears,

    I was using "Protege 3.5" + "Essential Project" for Enterprise Architecture, although Protege 3.5 it is deprecated.
    I could export the onthology model to OWL and opened on "Protege 5.5".
    However It seems Protege 5.5 does not have a property editor for the instance of the model.

    Is there any way to do the same thing with Protege 5.5 ?    ( Two files were attached to figure out )

Regards,

Bruno Gallego S. do Amaral

Secretaria de Tecnologia e Informação - STI/CSIS/DIPAQ
Tribunal Regional do Trabalho da 1ª Região
Tels.: (021) 2380-7473

Re: Protégé as Enterprise Arqchitecture Tool

Alex Shkotin
Hi Bruno!

Great project! It would be better if you just write what you need to do in the form: How to...

Alex

чт, 17 янв. 2019 г. в 20:29, Bruno Gallego Soares do Amaral <[hidden email]>:
Dears,

    I was using "Protege 3.5" + "Essential Project" for Enterprise Architecture, although Protege 3.5 it is deprecated.
    I could export the onthology model to OWL and opened on "Protege 5.5".
    However It seems Protege 5.5 does not have a property editor for the instance of the model.

    Is there any way to do the same thing with Protege 5.5 ?    ( Two files were attached to figure out )

Regards,

Bruno Gallego S. do Amaral

Secretaria de Tecnologia e Informação - STI/CSIS/DIPAQ
Tribunal Regional do Trabalho da 1ª Região
Tels.: (021) 2380-7473

Re: Protégé as Enterprise Arqchitecture Tool

Bruno Gallego Soares do Amaral
Hi Alex!

As far as I found out, after version 3.5, Protégé is just a tool for editing, creating and managing onthology models.
Protégé 3.5 could create a model and create customized "Forms" for editing "Instances" (data entry).

Aa Michael said, the new version does not customize the UI Forms controls regarding the property data type. For example, if I create a bool property in my model, when I create an instance, this property should be show as Checkbox for editing the data of the instance.

The "Essential Project" tool had a plugin for Protégé 3.5 that could export the data from Prótégé database and show reports on the web, but this whole solution is deprecated due to the fact it depends on Protégé 3.5.
Unfortunately, we have been looking for another solution to migrate.

Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,