Protege client/server and local imports

Ralph Schäfermeier
Hi everyone,

Given an ontology that is stored on a Protégé server and loaded into desktop Protégé 5 using the client plugin (https://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege4ClientServer), how would one import another ontology that is also stored on the same server?

I found that Protégé recognizes imported ontologies once they have been loaded from the server manually (a URI of the form owlapi:ontologyXXX is displayed as the physical location in the imported ontologies view, I guess it just refers to an ontology loaded into the ontology manager). But is there any way (special URI scheme or anything like that) to physically refer to (and automatically load) imported ontologies from the server?

Thanks!

Best,
Ralph

Re: Protege client/server and local imports

Josef Hardi
Hi Ralph,

If you publish the ontologies and have resolvable URLs, Protege will be able to download and load those ontologies automatically via direct import.

Best,
Josef

On Aug 11, 2017, at 11:00 AM, Ralph Schäfermeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot Josef, but I meant during development time, not after publishing. We have a bunch of ontologies which import each other (six at the moment, might be more in the future) and have to open each single one manually every time we start working on them if we want to see the full imports closure (which we do). I wonder if there is a more convenient solution.

For ontologies stored locally during development time, Protege (or rather the OWL API) makes use of xml catalog files for mapping URIs to resolvable URLs. Is anything similar possible with the client/server plugin?

Thanks again.

Best,
Ralph

Am 12.08.2017 um 00:55 schrieb Josef Hardi <[hidden email]>:

[...]

I see. I don’t think the client/server plugin has the import feature that you want right now. Managing remote resources is much more complicated that the local ones.

Have you tried WebProtege? It is a cloud-based system, perhaps it is more suitable for your need.

Best,
Josef

On Aug 12, 2017, at 3:56 AM, Ralph Schäfermeier <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Josef,

Thanks for the reply. I forked the project on github and added a (so far quick and dirty) hack that somewhat accomplishes what we need. I might make the code pretty and ready for prime time some day in the future and issue a pull request.

I know and like Web Protege but its lack of reasoning support and its also not really perfect way of dealing with local imports made us opt for desktop Protege.

Cheers,
Ralph