Protege for documentation

Anant
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plugins for Protege that I can use to develop end-user documentation like help, manuals, and knowledge base? I am basically looking for some solutions for automated documentation. Request your kind reply on this.

Regards,
Anant

Re: Protege for documentation

Tania Tudorache
You may try to use the OWLDoc plugin (Tools menu -> Export OWL Doc), which will generate HTML pages for the ontology. The directory where you export has to exist already.

These links might also be useful:

https://www.w3.org/2011/prov/wiki/Generating_HTML_documentation_of_OWL
http://answers.semanticweb.com/questions/1087/generating-documentation-from-rdfs-andor-owl-vocabularies
http://ontorule-project.eu/parrot/parrot

Tania

On 02/22/2016 12:15 PM, Anant Sabane wrote:
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plugins for Protege that I can use to develop end-user documentation like help, manuals, and knowledge base? I am basically looking for some solutions for automated documentation. Request your kind reply on this.

Regards,
Anant

Re: Protege for documentation

bjayaram

You could use Protege to develop knowledge bases but IMO, it is not a good fit for publishing online help, manuals etc. and I am not aware of any such plugins other than OWLDoc that Tania posted.

I don’t know what you mean by automated documentation but if you are looking for ways to do documentation where you can generate documents for different audiences, different output formats, or use conditional formatting, subject schemes etc. from the same source, I would highly recommend you check out systems based on DITA (Darwin Information Typing Architecture).

HTH,
Jayaram

On Feb 22, 2016, at 1:15 PM, Anant Sabane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if there are any plugins for Protege that I can use to develop end-user documentation like help, manuals, and knowledge base? I am basically looking for some solutions for automated documentation. Request your kind reply on this.

Regards,
Anant

Re: Protege for documentation

Anant
Thanks for suggestion, Jayaram.

However the flexibility that we get with RDF and Ontology in terms or granular content would not be available with DITA. That is why I am looking for this solution.

Tania, thanks for sharing the links. I had explored OWLDoc plugin however hadn't checked Parrot. When I tried putting up my OWL file for conversion, it threw some error so could not explore that part.

Thanks and regards,
Aannt

Hi,