Protege is 20 years old!

Mark Musen
Friends,

It is with great excitement that I am writing to let you know that Protégé is about to enter its second decade.  It was during July, 1987, when I was a Ph.D. student at Stanford University, that the very first incarnation of the Protégé system was completed and when it was run for the first time.  Implemented in Interlisp-D on a Xerox 1186 workstation, the first version of the system, which we called PROTÉGÉ enabled us to build an ontology of a cancer clinical trial, acquire instances of that ontology, and run the clinical-trial knowledge base on a special using the ONCOCIN technology that Samson Tu had been working on at the time.

This summer is going to be great experience for Protégé numerologists.  We will be marking the 20th anniversary of the first Protégé system.  We will be hosting the tenth annual International Protégé Conference (see http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2007/).  And we will mark the 75,000th registered Protégé user!

These are very exciting times as we look back over the past two decades of Protégé development and think forward to the new architecture for Protégé version 4.0.

The 10th International Protégé Conference takes place July 15–18, 2007, in magnificent Budapest.  You can register for the conference directly at our Web site: http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2007/  Please plan on joining the entire Protégé development team, our die-hard user community, and lots of friends and fellow users who are interested in Protégé, in ontologies, and in semantic technology generally.

See you in Budapest for the celebration!

Mark

Mark A. Musen, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine (Biomedical Informatics) and of Computer Science
Head, Stanford Medical Informatics
Stanford University
251 Campus Drive, X-215
Stanford, CA  94305  USA