Protege is 20 years old!

Mark Musen
Friends,

It is with great excitement that I am writing to let you know that Protégé is about to enter its second decade.  It was during July, 1987, when I was a Ph.D. student at Stanford University, that the very first incarnation of the Protégé system was completed and when it was run for the first time.  Implemented in Interlisp-D on a Xerox 1186 workstation, the first version of the system, which we called PROTÉGÉ enabled us to build an ontology of a cancer clinical trial, acquire instances of that ontology, and run the clinical-trial knowledge base on a special using the ONCOCIN technology that Samson Tu had been working on at the time.

This summer is going to be great experience for Protégé numerologists.  We will be marking the 20th anniversary of the first Protégé system.  We will be hosting the tenth annual International Protégé Conference (see http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2007/).  And we will mark the 75,000th registered Protégé user!

These are very exciting times as we look back over the past two decades of Protégé development and think forward to the new architecture for Protégé version 4.0.

The 10th International Protégé Conference takes place July 15–18, 2007, in magnificent Budapest.  You can register for the conference directly at our Web site: http://protege.stanford.edu/conference/2007/  Please plan on joining the entire Protégé development team, our die-hard user community, and lots of friends and fellow users who are interested in Protégé, in ontologies, and in semantic technology generally.

See you in Budapest for the celebration!

Mark

Mark A. Musen, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine (Biomedical Informatics) and of Computer Science
Head, Stanford Medical Informatics
Stanford University
251 Campus Drive, X-215
Stanford, CA  94305  USA

Phone: +1 (650) 725-3390
Fax: +1 (650) 725-7944

Re: Protege is 20 years old!

Bob Smith-10

Hi Mark,

Congratulations on Two Decades of important work.

I just wish that we could attend this event in Budapest in July.

Cheers,

Bob

Re: [protege-discussion] Protege is 20 years old!

Mark Musen
On Jun 9, 2007, at 11:17 AM, Randall R Schulz wrote:
It is with great excitement that I am writing to let you know that
Protégé is about to enter its second decade.

Eh? I believe you mean it's about to enter its _third_ decade!

Yes, I blew it!  It's the start of the third decade.  Even more reason to celebrate!

Thanks!

Mark

P.S.  Of course, in "dog years," it's all pretty depressing ...

Re: Protege is 20 years old!

clynch

Mark,

Congratulations to you and the entire Protégé team! The success of Protégé speaks for itself and I think is an attestation of what a great team, and a great leader Stanford has been lucky enough to attract and retain.

I recently attended a talk given by Chuck Friedman where he discussed the spectrum of impact of informatics technology tools and defined what characterized a “killer app” in informatics and I would say that Protégé has to be the benchmark by which one would measure these “killer apps”.

As you say, even more impressive that it is climbing into the third decade!

Cecil

[...]

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Re: Protege is 20 years old!

C. Forbes Dewey, Jr.
Mark,

Many thanks to you and your dedicated team for a wonderful ride.  We are relatively new to active Protègè use but at this point could not do without it.

Best wishes for more years of success.
                                                                   Forbes Dewey

Mark Musen wrote:
[...]

C. Forbes Dewey, Jr.                                            [hidden email] [hidden email]
Professor of Mechanical Engineering                      Phone: 617-253-2235
           and Bioengineering                                   Fax: 617-258-8559
Co-Director, International Consortium
             for Medical Imaging Technology               Room 3-254
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA 02139 USA

http://web.mit.edu/cfdewey/www/index.html