Protege server?

Jeff Becker
Hello. The web page
http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_5_Development_Environment
states:

     "The Protege server is going to be released with a version of
Protege 5.0 very soon."

However that web page claims it was last modified in 2013.

Are there any updates on Protege 5 Server development, or has it been
superseded by WebProtege?

Thanks

-jeff

Re: Protege server?

Rafael Gonçalves
Hi Jeff,

We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a release.

Cheers,
Rafael

> On Aug 26, 2016, at 12:33, Jeff Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello. The web page http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_5_Development_Environment states:
>
>    "The Protege server is going to be released with a version of Protege 5.0 very soon."
>
> However that web page claims it was last modified in 2013.
>
> Are there any updates on Protege 5 Server development, or has it been superseded by WebProtege?
>
> Thanks
>
> -jeff

Re: Protege server?

Jeff Becker
Hi Rafael,

On 08/29/2016 10:17 AM, Rafael Gonçalves wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a release.
Great news! Thanks.

-jeff

> Cheers,
> Rafael
>
>> On Aug 26, 2016, at 12:33, Jeff Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello. The web page http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_5_Development_Environment states:
>>
>>     "The Protege server is going to be released with a version of Protege 5.0 very soon."
>>
>> However that web page claims it was last modified in 2013.
>>
>> Are there any updates on Protege 5 Server development, or has it been superseded by WebProtege?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -jeff

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

sizedam
What are the main differences between the 2 products: Protege Server vs. WebProtege?

Rafael Gonçalves wrote
Hi Jeff,

We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a release.

Cheers,
Rafael
Rafael Gonçalves wrote
Hi Jeff,

We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a release.

Cheers,
Rafael

> On Aug 26, 2016, at 12:33, Jeff Becker <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello. The web page http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_5_Development_Environment states:
>
>    "The Protege server is going to be released with a version of Protege 5.0 very soon."
>
> However that web page claims it was last modified in 2013.
>
> Are there any updates on Protege 5 Server development, or has it been superseded by WebProtege?
>
> Thanks
>
> -jeff

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Tania Tudorache

Both WebProtege and the Protege server are built to support collaboration among groups of people developing an ontology together.

The main difference is that in WebProtege you would be editing in a Web browser, and with the Protege client, you would be editing in the "regular" desktop Protege.

Here are a few more things to consider:

WebProtege:

- much easier editing than with the Protege desktop client

- better suited for domain expert editing

- better collaboration support (sharing, notes, change tracking, watches, revisions, rollback, etc.)

- no installation necessary for the clients, they just use a browser

- customizable views for each user for the same ontology

- if using the Stanford server (http://webprotege.stanford.edu), then automatic updates and nightly backups.

Protege client-server:

- Installation for clients necessary (the regular Protege)

- Access to all Protege plugins

Good luck!

Tania

What are the main differences between the 2 products: Protege Server vs.
WebProtege?

Rafael Gonçalves wrote
> Hi Jeff,
>
> We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the
> protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a
> release.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael

Rafael Gonçalves wrote
> Hi Jeff,
>
> We are actively developing the Protege server (have a look at the
> protege-server and -client repositories on GitHub), and readying for a
> release.
>
> Cheers,
> Rafael
>
>> On Aug 26, 2016, at 12:33, Jeff Becker &lt;

> jeffrey.c.becker@

> &gt; wrote:
>>
>> Hello. The web page
>> http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege_5_Development_Environment
>> states:
>>
>>    "The Protege server is going to be released with a version of Protege
>> 5.0 very soon."
>>
>> However that web page claims it was last modified in 2013.
>>
>> Are there any updates on Protege 5 Server development, or has it been
>> superseded by WebProtege?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> -jeff

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

sizedam
Thanks Tania ... are both equally extensible via the Protege/OWL API (assuming of course we were to host our own instance of WebProtege)?

Tania Tudorache wrote
Both WebProtege and the Protege server are built to support collaboration among groups of people developing an ontology together.

The main difference is that in WebProtege you would be editing in a Web browser, and with the Protege client, you would be editing in the "regular" desktop Protege.

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Tania Tudorache

Yes, they are both extensible. Both are open source (https://github.com/protegeproject). Protege desktop has a fairly extensive plugin infrastructure; WebProtege has APIs that allow you to add new components to it. Both of them use the OWL API to access the ontologies.

Tania

Thanks Tania ... are both equally extensible via the Protege/OWL API
(assuming of course we were to host our own instance of WebProtege)?

Tania Tudorache wrote
> Both WebProtege and the Protege server are built to support collaboration
> among groups of people developing an ontology together.
>

> The main difference is that in WebProtege you would be editing in a Web
> browser, and with the Protege client, you would be editing in the
> "regular" desktop Protege.

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Lorenz Buehmann
Hello Tania,

you should mention that WebProtege still doesn't support reasoning, which is one of the most useful features of the desktop version.

At least that's what I remember from an older version, but I knew from Matthew that he was working on some kind of remote reasoner server - not sure whether this project has already been completed for production.

Cheers,
Lorenz

Yes, they are both extensible. Both are open source (https://github.com/protegeproject). Protege desktop has a fairly extensive plugin infrastructure; WebProtege has APIs that allow you to add new components to it. Both of them use the OWL API to access the ontologies.

Tania

Thanks Tania ... are both equally extensible via the Protege/OWL API
(assuming of course we were to host our own instance of WebProtege)?

Tania Tudorache wrote
> Both WebProtege and the Protege server are built to support collaboration
> among groups of people developing an ontology together.
>

> The main difference is that in WebProtege you would be editing in a Web
> browser, and with the Protege client, you would be editing in the
> "regular" desktop Protege.

Lorenz Bühmann
AKSW group, University of Leipzig

Re: Protege server vs. WebProtege?

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye

Tania:

I understand WeProtege does not have the Description Logic Reasoner to check the consistency of the ontology and automatically compute the ontology class hierarchy. It is only useful for the “initial development of the ontology” but not for running it to check the consistency of the ontology.  True or false?

Kofi