Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Laura Morales
Sorry, what is the rationale for using the Entities tab, when I already have all the same sub-tabs (Classes, Object properties, Data properties, ...) available in the main tab menu?

Re: Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Laura,

I am not sure I understand your question. The "Entities" tab IS the main tab. It contains all the different views (Classes, Object properties, Data properties, ...), that give you access to the different type of entities in your ontologies. Once you select an entity (e.g. a class, an individual, an object property) in the appropriate view on the left, you will see details about the selected entity on the right.

Csongor

On 5/2/19 1:42 AM, Laura Morales wrote:
Sorry, what is the rationale for using the Entities tab, when I already have all the same sub-tabs (Classes, Object properties, Data properties, ...) available in the main tab menu?

Re: Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Laura Morales
Hi Csongor, take a look at this picture https://framapic.org/yVwJQL0yngBg/HKZqoRiH0q6L.png
I was simply wondering what is the purpose of the "Entities" tab given that all the sub-tabs that I can select there, are already available as separate tabs in the main tab-menu. I think the answer is that at some point the separate tabs were grouped into this "Entities" tab so there is no reason to keep them in the main menu anymore.

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 7:29 PM
From: "Csongor Nyulas" <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [protege-user] Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Hi Laura,

I am not sure I understand your question. The "Entities" tab IS the main tab. It contains all the different views (Classes, Object properties, Data properties, ...), that give you access to the different type of entities in your ontologies. Once you select an entity (e.g. a class, an individual, an object property) in the appropriate view on the left, you will see details about the selected entity on the right.

Csongor

Re: Protege: what's the point of the Entities Tab

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Thank you, Laura. You are right, if you have the Entities tab, those other tabs are redundant. As Matthew said, those are preconfigured tabs that came as default in older versions of Protege. However, since a very long time now we just show the "Entities" tab by default, and not those other tabs. In fact we don't show those other tabs since such a long time that I even forgot they existed. :)
To be clear, it is still possible (and would be totally fine) to use those other tabs (Classes, Object properties, etc.) instead of the Entities tab, if you find that layout more effective, but showing both in the same time does not make much sense, indeed.

BTW, you can close any of the tabs easily clicking on the little X icon on the right of the tab name, and you can add them back through the Window -> Tabs menu.

Csongor

Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2019 at 7:29 PM
From: "Csongor Nyulas" [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]