Quantcast

Question about Data Properties in Protégé

Question about Data Properties in Protégé

Nivu Niconnu
 Hello,
 I am using Protégé 4.0 (Build 115) and I have a question regarding Data Properties and individuals. I still did not find the place to see all previously asked questions.

  When we look at the frame "Property assertions" in the "Individual" tab, we can define "data property assertions". When defining a data property assertion on an individual, we can define several assertions for the same Data Property. For instance, to take the classical example of wine.rdf ontology, we can define 2 assertions on a Region like : yearValue = "2000" and yearValue = "1985".
 When the ontology wine.rdf is then saved in rdf format, we have the impression that twice the same data property "yearValue" is present on the region Individual.   <Region rdf:about="#CaliforniaRegion">
 <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;Thing"/>
 <yearValue>2000</yearValue>
 <yearValue>1985</yearValue>
 <locatedIn rdf:resource="#USRegion"/>
 </Region>

 Does it make sense to have twice the same data property on the same individual ? I personally thought that it was not possible and that a data property "yearValues" of type list/collection would be more appropriate. If this is relevant to have several instances of the same data property, which OWL APIs allow to handle those instances to set values on individuals ?

 Best Regards, Pascal

Re: Question about Data Properties in Protégé

Timothy Redmond

> <Region rdf:about="#CaliforniaRegion">
>   <rdf:type rdf:resource="&owl;Thing"/>
>   <yearValue>2000</yearValue>
>   <yearValue>1985</yearValue>
>   <locatedIn rdf:resource="#USRegion"/>
>   </Region>
>
>   Does it make sense to have twice the same data property on the same individual ?

This case does make sense.  There is no problem with having two
different yearValue property values for the same individual.  If you
don't like this you can make the property functional.

-Timothy