Question about export newspaper project to owl file

Question about export newspaper project to owl file

Feiyu Lin
Hej!

  I am using Protege 3.2 beta. I try to export newspaper project to
newspaper.owl, but I can't open newspaper.owl with Protege 3.2. Here
is the message:
Unable to load project:
file:/C:/Program%20Files/Protege_3.2_beta/newspaper.owl.pprj

Any suggestions to open it using Protege? Thank you very much!

Best Regards
/Feiyu

Re: Question about export newspaper project to owl file

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Feiyu,

First I recommend you to create a newspaper folder for example c:\newspaper
and not to use C:\Program Files folder at all.
If possible use other drives, not C: at all if possible (you might to have
to reformat C due to OS crash)

In that x:\newspaper (x=drive letter such as d), you should have the
following files
newspaper.owl
newspaper.pprj

When handling files for example in Windows you have a change to save with
extension
ending up to errroneus file names.
In you care file newspaper.owl.pprj  is NOT ok = it has TWO extensions

For OWL/RDF project you only have newspaper.owl and newspaper.pprj (project
file)

Cheers
Ronnie

>   I am using Protege 3.2 beta. I try to export newspaper project to
> newspaper.owl, but I can't open newspaper.owl with Protege 3.2. Here
> is the message:
> Unable to load project:
> file:/C:/Program%20Files/Protege_3.2_beta/newspaper.owl.pprj
>
> Any suggestions to open it using Protege? Thank you very much!
>
> Best Regards
> /Feiyu

Re: Question about export newspaper project to owl file

Nick Drummond
Hi Feiyu, Ronnie,

I don't have any problem doing this with the current 3.2 beta release
(b243) with the owl plugin installed - its possible the previous version
could have though.

1) Open newspaper.pprj
2) Select File->export to format->OWL
3) I happily saved the owl file into my My Documents directory on the C
drive, but you could put it anywhere
4) Select File->Open project
5) Find your owl file you've just saved and select OK

This works fine for me. Several points:

a) Ronnie, I don't understand why you have problems with saving to your
C: drive - has anyone else ever experienced this?
b) I'm sure protege (and windows) is happy with xxx.owl.pprj extensions
- the pizzas ontology does this (examples/pizza)
c) When you do an export, there is no pprj file created - you should
just be able to open the owl file directly (only with the most recent beta)

Hope this solves your problems

Nick

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

>Hi Feiyu,
>
>First I recommend you to create a newspaper folder for example c:\newspaper
>and not to use C:\Program Files folder at all.
>If possible use other drives, not C: at all if possible (you might to have
>to reformat C due to OS crash)
>
>In that x:\newspaper (x=drive letter such as d), you should have the
>following files
>newspaper.owl
>newspaper.pprj
>
>When handling files for example in Windows you have a change to save with
>extension
>ending up to errroneus file names.
>In you care file newspaper.owl.pprj  is NOT ok = it has TWO extensions
>
>For OWL/RDF project you only have newspaper.owl and newspaper.pprj (project
>file)
>
>Cheers
>Ronnie

Nick Drummond

Re: Question about export newspaper project to owl file

Ronnie Valkky
Hi Nick,

I don't have any problems saving to C: drive neither to C:\Program Files.

I just don't do it.

I don't keep data such as OWL projects and files in the same
folder as programs. This speeds up processing and helps to recover from
possible hardware crashes.

If one has to change hard disk or an operating system upgrade or crash
require formatting C drive,
life is easir if data is in different hard disk and drive.

If one has delete the whole folder which contain older software version to
start from scratch
it makes life easier if data is not in the same folder as software.

Also I don't use extensions in file names.
For example I would use files newspaper.owl and newspaper.pprj.
Seeing file name such as icewaves.repository tells to me which kind of file
I have.

People naturally can name their files and folders the way they like. Certain
difficulties
there might come due to operating systems for example (some do not allow
capital letter
in certain situations, some OS may require you to use shorter folder name
than what you would think.
Sometimes naming system works in work station but the same application won't
work when
uploaded to server etc.

Maybe I should have emphasized more that what works for me might not work to
somebody.

So briefly, I don't any/no have problems related to C: drive.

cheers
Ronnie
http://www.icewaves.com/0000/legal_email_waves.html

http://protege.stanford.edu/community/subscribe.html

Ronnie Valkky wrote:

>Hi Nick,
>
>I don't have any problems saving to C: drive neither to C:\Program Files.
>
>I just don't do it.

Phew - that's good news - I was worried that this was because you've had
difficulties

>I don't keep data such as OWL projects and files in the same
>folder as programs. This speeds up processing and helps to recover from
>possible hardware crashes.
>
>If one has to change hard disk or an operating system upgrade or crash
>require formatting C drive,
>life is easir if data is in different hard disk and drive.
>
>If one has delete the whole folder which contain older software version to
>start from scratch
>it makes life easier if data is not in the same folder as software.

I agree

>Also I don't use extensions in file names.
>For example I would use files newspaper.owl and newspaper.pprj.
>Seeing file name such as icewaves.repository tells to me which kind of file
>I have.

Any decent program should be sensible enough to use the last .xxx as the
extension, but as a developer, I can see why you are careful :)

>People naturally can name their files and folders the way they like. Certain
>difficulties
>there might come due to operating systems for example (some do not allow
>capital letter
>in certain situations, some OS may require you to use shorter folder name
>than what you would think.
>Sometimes naming system works in work station but the same application won't
>work when
>uploaded to server etc.

I know, one day maybe all of them will be the same (?!)

>Maybe I should have emphasized more that what works for me might not work to
>somebody.
>
>So briefly, I don't any/no have problems related to C: drive.
>
>cheers
>Ronnie
>http://www.icewaves.com/0000/legal_email_waves.html

Thanks for the answers - I just wanted to clarify that this would work
without these steps.

Nick