Question about object property inefrence

Question about object property inefrence

adamsi
Hi All,

I'm just getting started with ontology and protege and I am facing a
challenge. Let's say I have an ontology with classes 'Person', 'Country' and
'Language', and instances 'John', 'England' and 'English'. I also have
object properties 'livesIn' and 'hasOfficialLanguage'. I want to specify
that 'John livesIn England', and 'England hasOfficialLanguage English', and
then have it inferred that this means John speaks English.

I've had a look at similar questions, and answers seem to point towards sub
properties, but that doesn't make much sense to me in this context (or maybe
I don't understand the concept well enough). Any directions will be greatly
appreciated.

Cheere,
Adamsi

Re: Question about object property inefrence

samsontu

On Jun 11, 2019, at 3:09 PM, adamsi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm just getting started with ontology and protege and I am facing a
challenge. Let's say I have an ontology with classes 'Person', 'Country' and
'Language', and instances 'John', 'England' and 'English'. I also have
object properties 'livesIn' and 'hasOfficialLanguage'. I want to specify
that 'John livesIn England', and 'England hasOfficialLanguage English', and
then have it inferred that this means John speaks English.

I've had a look at similar questions, and answers seem to point towards sub
properties, but that doesn't make much sense to me in this context (or maybe
I don't understand the concept well enough). Any directions will be greatly
appreciated.

What you want is the “property chain” feature of OWL. If you assert that “speaks” is a super property of the property chain (livesIn o hasOfficialLanguage) then you get the inference you want (John speaks English).

Object properties are binary relations. If f o g is a composition of the f and g relations, and  h is a superproperty of f o g, then for all x, y such that y = f(g(x)), {x, y} is a member of the h relation.

With best regards,
Samson

smime.p7s (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Question about object property inefrence

If I'm understanding correctly you want to infer that anyone who lives in a Country speaks it's official language. I think that's a debatable inference but to do that you could write a SWRL rule:

livesIn(?p,?c) ^ hasOfficialLanguage(?c, ?l) -> speaksLanguage(?p,?l)

This will match all instances of Person who livesIn a Country and bind ?p to the Person and ?c to the Country. Then it will retrieve the hasOfficialLanguage for ?c and bind it to ?l. Then the left hand side will make a new assertion that ?p speaksLanguage ?l.

Michael