Question about ontologies, database and everything else...

Question about ontologies, database and everything else...

Cesbron, Brice
Hello everyone,

There is something I don't understand in OWL in general :

    - When an ontology has been done, checked with reasonner, classified, modeled (correctly) with Ontoviz, what do you do with ?

I though that insert it in a database was the way... so I used Protege with a MySQL database. I hoped to have a database in which I could insert data and execute SPARQl queries but it's not the case... Protege doesn't assume SPARQL queries on database.
Moreover, the database generated is strange :
    - Only 1 table
    - 9 columns with useless name (to me)
    - Only few datas recognizable, other are numbers...

I'm (completly) lost, I don't know what to do...so if s.o can help me to reach the next points please :
    - How to insert data in my MySQL database ?
    - How to execute SPARQL queries on data inserted?

My goal is to share a global ontology model (thanks to the database so) where different people insert their datas in and use queries on...
    - Am I on the wrong way to do it? or not?

Please, explain me in detail because I think I won't understand a non step by step explanation. :(

Thanks in advance.

Brice Cesbron
Capgemini Marseille - France

Re: Question about ontologies, database and everything else...

adam.saltiel
You need to do some research into RDF/OWL data stores. There are different layers.
Here are some toolkits and db implementations:-
Jena http://jena.sourceforge.net/
Jena is a Java framework for building Semantic Web applications. It provides a programmatic environment for RDF, RDFS and OWL, SPARQL and includes a rule-based inference engine.
Redland http://librdf.org/
Redland is a set of free software libraries that provide support for the Resource Description Framework (RDF).
Sesame http://openrdf.org/ Sesame is an open source RDF framework with support for RDF Schema inferencing and querying.
There are others. You may want to note the difference between Triple and Quad store (named graph implementations using a forth property in Sesame known as context.)
You have checked your Ontology with a reasoner, but that is just one use of a reasoner. The usage and implementation of reasoners is an open issue. They are being improved and extended all the time, with different implementations offering different features achieved with very different algorithms.
A search on google for prolog open world cuts to the chase on this one.
It turns up a paper from Institute AIFB, Universitat Karlsruhe, Germany http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:nNFv3-6jpMkJ:www.aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de/WBS/phi/resources/publications/prowlog.pdf+prolog+open+world&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2
Abstract: The W3C standard OWL provides a decidable language for representing ontologies. While its use is rapidly spreading, efforts are being made by researchers worldwide to augment
OWL with additional expressive features or by interlacing it with other forms of knowledge representation, in order to make it applicable for even further purposes. In this paper, we integrate OWL with one of the most successful and most widely used forms of knowledge representation, namely Prolog, and present a hybrid approach which layers Prolog on top of OWL in such a way that the open-world semantics of OWL becomes directly accessible within the Prolog system.

In other words Prolog has a lot to offer, but it uses closed world reasoning. I am sure this paper would throw light on the whole issue.
So what does one do with an ontology? I would have thought the very least would be inference, for instance the type of a new datum, or missing data - an expected type.
What are you doing with your ontology?
Adam