Question about writing classical negation in SWRLTab

Question about writing classical negation in SWRLTab

claire qiu
Hi,

first of all, thanks a lot for all the helps and insights.

I have a question about defining negated class.

For example,
I wanted to try the following rule, which is provided in [1].
Inline image 2

But when I wrote it in SWRL Tab, it gave me an error message. and I don't know how to write it correctly.

Inline image 1

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated!
The version of SWRLTab is 2.0.2, protege:5.2.0

Re: Question about writing classical negation in SWRLTab

Michael DeBellis-2
Claire,  In the current version of the SWRLTab having DL descriptions like this isn't supported yet. I think it will be at some point, probably fairly soon but as of now when you want to use descriptions like that you need to use a different editor. Go to:

Windows>Views>Ontology Views>Rules

Protege will prompt you to place the new pane somewhere into the User Interface. I put mine in the DL Query Tab, I think I showed an example window in the Process Model SWRL tutorial. The new Rule pane will have all the rules you have already created. You can create new rules in that pane by selecting the "+" icon in the upper left corner of the pane.

One thing that I found confusing when I first used the Rules pane is that it sometimes prompts you for possible completions with a pop-up yellow menu but if your ontology is even moderately big those pop-up windows can be huge and can obscure a lot of the screen. You can use the <Escape> key to get rid of them and also if you move the mouse out of the small edit window as you type they go away.

Be careful though, the not may not work the way you expect. It will only be true if the Reasoner can prove that ?x is not a Person. If ?x could be a Person but isn't known to be one it won't be satisfied. So for example if ?x is bound to an instance of Mammal and Person is a subclass of Mammal then (not Person)(?x) won't be satisfied (it could be that ?x really is a person, just that the classifier hasn't come across the information that implies she is).  However, if ?x is say a piece of Furniture and Furniture is Disjoint from Person then it will be satisfied.

Michael