Question for building hirearchy

Leila Kiani
Hi,
I wanted to ask you, If I build a hierarchy for my subjects are (animal Welfare), does this hierarchy help me for machine indexing of articles related to animal welfare (AWIC)?
Thanks a lot for your help

Re: Question for building hirearchy

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
It can, depending on your indexing software.

See, for example, the NCBO Annotator, which does just that of annotation/indexing, by taking an arbitrary text and using the BioPortal ontologies: https://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator

Csongor

On 4/23/19 10:01 AM, Leila Kiani wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to ask you, If I build a hierarchy for my subjects are (animal Welfare), does this hierarchy help me for machine indexing of articles related to animal welfare (AWIC)?
Thanks a lot for your help

Re: Question for building hirearchy

Leila Kiani
Our Indexing software is Cogito. If you are familiar with this software, Do you think, this hierarchy will be helpful?
THANKS A LOT for your help

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 1:50 PM Csongor Nyulas <[hidden email]> wrote:
It can, depending on your indexing software.

See, for example, the NCBO Annotator, which does just that of annotation/indexing, by taking an arbitrary text and using the BioPortal ontologies: https://bioportal.bioontology.org/annotator

Csongor

On 4/23/19 10:01 AM, Leila Kiani wrote:
Hi,
I wanted to ask you, If I build a hierarchy for my subjects are (animal Welfare), does this hierarchy help me for machine indexing of articles related to animal welfare (AWIC)?
Thanks a lot for your help

Re: Question for building hirearchy

It can definitely be used for that but there is still a step where you either need to write some code or use another tool to make the connection between your ontology and the relevant articles.

One interesting tool that does this is called Pool Party. It’s not free and there are probably freeware tools that do this as well. But to get an idea of what you need to do I would recommend downloading their free demo version and doing their tutorial. I have no connection with the company, I was looking at tools that connect a corpus (a set of documents) to an Ontology for a client a while ago and of all the ones I looked at we liked Pool Party the best for the client’s specific requirements. Even if you don’t have the budget for a commercial tool, I think their tutorial really shows you what you need to do and how you can leverage other resources such as DBpedia to do it.

Actually, DBpedia has some interesting tools that do this as well. Here is there home page: https://wiki.dbpedia.org/. Check out the “Apply” link. They are more buggy than Pool Party but the price (free) is nice.

You might also want to post something on the Ontolog forum: https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/ontolog-forum

There are a lot of researchers there doing Semantic Web R&D.

Michael