Question on Protege's Unicode character rendering

Question on Protege's Unicode character rendering

Steve Wartik

Hi,

I’m using an ontology with class names derived from text that contains fi and ffi ligatures. Protégé processes the IRIs correctly, in that the class names have the proper Unicode character. For example, here’s the class hierarchy window, showing that there’s a class whose name looks like “Official”, except “ffi” is actually Unicode FB03:

And, if I try searching for this class by typing the letters “O” and “f”, Protégé tells me my ontology has no such class. As expected.

The question I have is about Protégé’s rendering of ligatures in other places. Take a look at the label above the class hierarchy – the one that begins with “Class hierarchy”. There’s a rectangular box, not the ligature glyph, between the “O” and the “c”. Protégé displays the box elsewhere.

This might be a Protégé bug. It might also be a problem with the fonts on my computer. Or perhaps whoever created the font in question didn’t create that particular glyph. Can some expert clarify? Thanks.

Steve Wartik

Re: Question on Protege's Unicode character rendering

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
Hi Steve,

This works for me... (on Ubuntu)

I have to say, though, that Notepad++ (running in wine), doesn't display the "ffi" ligature (ffi), while it shows other Unicode characters. So, it could be a lots of factors that contribute to certain application being or not being able to show some Unicode characters.

BTW, what OS and Java do you use?

Csongor

PS: The best would be to create an issue for this on github.

On 09/19/2017 08:42 AM, Wartik, Steven P "Steve" wrote:

[...]

Csongor,

Thanks for testing that. I’m running Windows 7, Java 8 (1.8.0_144).

What font does Protégé use to display those labels? Does it use the same face for all fonts? Maybe I can investigate the fonts on my computer before I file an issue on Github.

Steve Wartik

Re: Question on Protege's Unicode character rendering

Csongor Nyulas
Administrator
I can't tell for sure what font is used by Protege without digging through the code, configuration file, and other potential places where this information could be encoded/set (where is firebug for Java, when one needs it). Unfortunately I don't have time for that detective work right now. :( I can tell you, however, that I am using the "Protégé" Look & Feel. Font size is 13, but it works for font size 12 (the default), also.

As you could see in my earlier screen shot, it is really hard to tell if there is any difference between the font used in the view title, and the class tree itself. Frankly, I could not see any difference. I observed, however, that the class name in the tree was rendered in bold face (because it was a class declared locally), while the view title was rendered in normal face. I created a new ontology that imported the previous one, to have the class name in the tree rendered without bold face, and it still worked (see screen shot below)

In addition I also tested with the GTK and Cross-Platform L&Fs, and both work as expected.
So it must be a Windows thing.

Csongor