RENAMING A PREVIOUSLY DEFINED CLASS -- IS IT POSSIBLE IN PROTEGE 5.1.0??

RENAMING A PREVIOUSLY DEFINED CLASS -- IS IT POSSIBLE IN PROTEGE 5.1.0??

Dr. Kofi Nyamekye

I am following  PIZZAOWLTUTORIAL  to create the ontology for the Pizza example, but I have renamed it as “Pizza-1.”

Per the instructions, I have created all the classes and the properties. Please see Figure 4.10 for the initial class hierarchy. In the later example on class restrictions, the initial class “PepperoniTopping” (please see Figure 4.10)  is differently renamed as “PepperoniSausageTopping” in Figure 4.36.

How do I rename the class “PepperoniTopping” in Figure 4.10 to “PepperoniSausageTopping” in Figure 4.36? Assuming I can make such a change, can the Reasoner automatically update each “PepperoniTopping,” to “PepperoniSausageTopping” wherever the former (“PepperoniTopping”) appears in the ontology after I complete the entire model before making such a change?

Best Regards,

Kofi

Re: RENAMING A PREVIOUSLY DEFINED CLASS -- IS IT POSSIBLE IN PROTEGE 5.1.0??

Michael DeBellis-2
Kofi, select the class. Then go to the Refactor menu option and select "Rename Entity" (I think its the very top option under Refactor). You will get a pop up window with the existing name so you can edit or completely change it. There will be a check box at the bottom left that is checked by default called "Change all entities with this URI". Leave this checked and the new class name will be propagated to all the appropriate places in the ontology.  You can use this command to rename anything in the ontology, besides classes it works for instances and object/data properties.

Refactor is a term from the Object-Oriented community. It refers to patterns that are common changes to a model, renaming something is the most common.

Michael

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Dr. Kofi Nyamekye <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael:

Thank you for the help!

Kofi